Turkey's descent into authoritarianism

So… the number that was leaked before the “election” took place.

I think it’s more than vulnerable, it’s pretty likely, especially given Erdogan’s stance on monetary policy (though maybe that was mainly for the elections) and his grip over the finance ministry. I guess we’ll find out when the central bank next tries to raise rates.

Looks like the central bank’s independence will be tested sooner rather than later. Official inflation forecast jumps from 8.4% to 13.4%, though it will “only” be 9.3% at the end of 2019.

Lira down another 3% today, and the government is preparing to announce a “new economic model” on Friday. Hold on to your seats.

Too early for this?

The laddie reckons himself a poet.

edit:

“And how much foreign currency reserves does your Allah have”

maybe now
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1027899286586109955

I mean fuck Turkey, but that’s kind of crazy considering he was sucking Erdogan’s dick on the regular about a month ago.

Trump and Ergodan (Putin too) are supported by people with similar views, which is why they are bros, kind of. Unlike Erdogan and Putin, Trump has no views, no vision, no beliefs other than the need to win so when an opportunity occurs for Trump to score a “win”, he will literally trample anyone, except perhaps Ivanka.

Krugman summarizes Turkey’s currency crisis:

We’ve reached the “Blame the Jews” page of the script.

What, again? They totally already did this in season 1.

Narcolepsitalitarianism?

Expect some kind of crazy violence soon.