Turn-based strategy for PSP?

Anything good out there? And, no, the piece of fermented shit known as Field Commander doesn’t count.

It’s not out yet, but there’s Warhammer 40k: Squad Command on the way.

Dungeons & Dragons Tactics is supposed to be out next week.

I think you Fire Emblem folks will dig Jeanne d’Arc.

-Tom

The Final Fantasy Tactics remake is out in October or somesuch too.

As long as we’re on the topic, why the FUCK isn’t Civilization Revolution coming out for PSP?

Metal Gear Acid and sequel probably count. Though they’re certainly not conventional turn-based strategy.

Jeanne d’Arc looks great as Tom says, though it does rip off Fire Emblem in a way with the pace and the fact that an attackee always counters. Current SRPGs on the PSP aren’t really worth mentioning. Spectral Souls would be decent if it wasn’t unbearably slow.

Not sure who thought that having to load from the UMD for every action was a good idea. I’ve never played a game before that actually has to load up the default attack animation… each time you attack. I agree Spectral Souls would be pretty decent if it wasn’t for the load times.

The interface looks like it could be a nightmare.

It’s actually quite sweet. Once you get the hang of one interaction area (like, buying and selling things), it’s the same interface for everything.

Not to toot my own horn too much, but I just posted a first impressions on this title, and I’m planning on posting a follow-up later this afternoon.

I’m planning to get D&D Tactics next week, if ya’ll want me to be the interface guinea pig. :) [OK I’ve been beaten to the punch on that :)]

If you trust EB release dates, some turn-based stuff already mentioned here are:

Aug. 14
-Dungeons & Dragons Tactics

Aug. 21
-Jeanne D’ Arc (this seems to play very much like the GBA FF Tactics, or even Vandal Hearts on PSX if you remember that far)
There’s a pretty cool gameplay flick at Gametrailers:

Oct. 9
-Final Fantasy Tactics: War Lions

Nov. 13
-Warhammer 40,000: Squad Command

Wait, you mean D&D Tactics actually doesn’t suck? It sounded far too great when they announced it, so I immediately wrote it off as a guaranteed to be fucked up. Now it sounds like an absolute must buy for me. If you post/find any more impressions let us know!

This & Incursion are satisfying D20 urges I didn’t even know I had. Funny how it’s coming out on the same day as a probable new release of Incursion.

Been lusting after Jeanne D’ Arc ever since it was announced. Turn based tactical combat ala FFT made by Level 5? Hell yes. Reviews have been mixed out of Japan, but I am still hopeful.

I could use another play through of FFT, this time with a serious translation instead of the unintentionally hilarious original. Warhammer 40k Squad Command is a mystery to me, since I know nothing about the rules system. I read the Eisenhorn & Ravenor novels by Abner set in the universe and enjoyed them, so I will be hoping they don’t screw it up.

It’s an excellent title. The only quibble I’ve had with it so far is that the game used a lot of its available space on the disk for depth of adventuring and campaign – without using that same space for cinematics. If that’s the most I can complain about so far, I think I’m pretty well off.

I was talking to a friend last night, and I came up with a quick description of the title: It’s the closest thing to Neverwinter Nights you’re bound to find on the PSP.

Well, shit. There goes $40 on Tuesday.

That’s not necessarily a selling point.

I assume you mean Neverwinter Nights of old?

If you’re curious about the Warhammer game, and how the PSP and DS versions will differ (rather greatly it seems), the UK Pocketgamer had some hands on with the DS version:

Gamespy looked specifically at the PSP version a while back:
http://psp.gamespy.com/playstation-portable/warhammer-40k-squad-command/805745p1.html

I doubt you’ll need to know the Warhammer rules set, any more than you need to know them to enjoy Relic’s Dawn of War. :) (it might help to know them, I just doubt they would make the game hostile to people who don’t know it). I don’t know diddly about D&D, still looking forward to the D&D Tactics games.

Seriously, I don’t regret my PSP purchase at all.

I’d prefer it if you said, “It’s like a ToEE that actually works right OOTB.”