Turn-based strategy for PSP?

I apparently walked into the biweekly meeting of the NWN-haters club.

I actually meant the Bioware game, and I was referencing D&D Tactics’ adherence to the 3.5 ruleset.

This is Qt3: we’re the Mikey of gaming forums.

So you mean NWN2, I hope and pray? 'cause NWN1’s adherence to 3.0e was pretty awful. (I don’t hate NWN1, mind you. Just the engine, the graphics, the original campaign, and the rules implementation. The expansion campaigns, premium modules, and many of the user scenarios are pretty darn nifty when one makes allowance for the above.)

Yeah that is what I am looking for. How does it compare to TToEE?

Mystery (I think) posted his “more impressions of D&D Tactics” at the IGN forums:
http://vnboards.ign.com/dungeons_dragons_online_general_board/b22447/104113621/p1/

Can you save during a mission, or only at the start and after completing it? Just wondering.

Gamespy (4/5 stars) and IGN (9/10) both weighed in enthusiastically on Jeanne D’Arc (though I thought they’d review D&D Tactics first, maybe it’s too long :D) tonight:

Jeanne manages to capture perfectly what we want from a tactical RPG: to make us care about the characters through a well-done but not distracting story; to give us enough choices in customization to make preparing for battle and spending our resources meaningful; and in providing us with battles that feel like certain doom from the first turn, even after we’ve won dozens of them.

Extremely deep gameplay. Balanced tactical strategy and fast paced action with rich game mechanics. An intriguing twist on a well known tale. These three statements only scratch the surface of Jeanne d’Arc, which manages to deliver on all of these fronts.

Packed with challenging strategic play and tactical action, Level-5’s latest title is a phenomenal game that will keep you engaged for hours. If you’ve been eagerly awaiting a game to end the Strategy RPG drought on the PSP, look no further: your title has arrived.
Looks like - hopefully - a good month to be a PSP/turn based strategy fan. :)

So is D&DT getting released tomorrow or was it postponed again? Already convinced I want it now. And Jeanne too, but I wasn’t too terribly impressed with the demo.

Wow, Brave Story already had me firing up my PSP all the time, Jeanne d’Arc is positively going to move it into DS territory!

Well when you equate “turn based strict adherance to D&D 3.5e rules” to “pauseable realtime crate looting simluator,” we have to wonder.

Why are there tbs games for the f… handhelds developed but nearly none for us craving pc gamers?

Why are you complaining that you can play your genre of choice on a $150 dollar machine rather than a $750 dollar machine?

Well I won’t claim to speak for Hetzer, but I would prefer to play my turn-based game with much higher screen resolution, better graphics, and the use of the mouse.

Can you multi class in this game? eg like Rogue 5 / Fighter 10

Or is it all strictly one class only? I can kind of see why they might do that with a handheld game.

I haven’t had good luck finding much in the way of reviews for this game, especially ones written by people who have played a lot of PNP Dungeons and Dragons and can comment on how closely the game rules adhere to the actual PNP game. If anyone sees one like that, please link :)

Dude, my D&D Basic boxed set (blue box) has Gygax’s autograph. I wrote a little piece a few weeks back where only some of us old fogies will get the jokes.

Cool. Have you written anything that gives details on how closely the PSP game adheres to the 3.5 rules? All I’ve seen so far are things like “100’s of feats” and “they have psionics!”

Sometimes little details have big implications so I’m wondering if this PSP game really plays like tabletop DnD. Does every melee character need to end up with a 2h weapon and power attack to get a decent damage output? Does every rogue end up with a ring of blinking so they can sneak attack all the time? Does every high level caster end up with multiple rods of quickened metamagic so they can always cast two spells a round? Do gazebos have big DR vs everything but fire and axes?

Yea, in the 2 reviews linked in this thread.

I’ve only played the game for a week, now, so I can’t speak for higher levels. I’d be further along, but I keep stopping actual play time to spend hours noodling my way through how best to spend my gold and equip each of my characters. I’m way too much of a min/maxer to power through the levels.

I can tell you that, at levels 1-5, a Dwarven fighter with Cleave and a big 2-hander will take you far, my son.

I read those. I just reread those. Not so much seeing the details that pertain to my question ;-)

You did however manage to get me psyched for this game though, so I’m pretty much guaranteed to buy it at this point!

Because PC gamers stopped buying those once FPS games became popular and the pretty lights killed off the turn-based strategy gamers. Because C&C and Starcraft and RTSs took over the world and taking time to debate a turn lost its allure in favor of hyperactive mouse clicking contests. Well those are some crackpot theories of mine, but it’s like trying to answer why dinosaurs are extinct (comet? disease? evolution? Michael Jackson?)

At one time there was so many turn-based squad strategy games (Jagged Alliance, Incubation and SSI’s Soldiers at War and Warhammer 40K Chaos Marines among some I remember, along with Fallout and its ilk) that I almost did a fan site devoted to the “genre.” Crazy, huh? Anyway, I plan to buy the two we’re yakking most about here (Jeanne and D&D:T) and will keep my fingers crossed the Warhammer squad one is any good. At least if you can get one of the redesigned PSPs you’ll be able to hook it up to a TV/monitor and maybe that way you can pretend squad strategy games have returned to the PC… or that it’s 1997. :)

Hey some reviews are trickling in at the review compilation (er, aggregator?) sites:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/psp/dungeonsanddragonstactics
It’s interesting how the first 3 are positive, middle of the road and negative. :D

Bah, Best Buy says 8/21.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8373182&st=dungoens+and+dragons+tactics&type=product&id=1177718866876

Dungeons & Dragons: Tactics: PSP

PSP Mini Disc Release Date: 8/21/2007

Bioshock is going to win that fight.