Turning two-pages/screen pdf file into single page one?

I just got a manual that I’d like to peruse on my iPad, but the pages are stuck together in this way:

It is quite hard for me to read in that way.

I’d like to split them, as to get the pages to display like this:

Is it possible?

I don’t personally know any easy way to accomplish that.

However, if you’re specifically referring to the game in your example pic, I googled the manual, and found a downloadable PDF of the manual in normal single page Portrait view.

http://replacementdocs.com/download.php?view.4612

Oh, thank you very much!

It’s not possible in the free Acrobat Reader. There may be a free utility out there that could do it, because there were ways to do it with paid plug-ins we used at the printing company I used to work for, but I don’t know personally what cheap or free alternatives to recommend.

Try opening it with iBooks?

I’d be surprised if that worked, though I suppose it’s possible iBooks has some clever tricks for identifying and addressing PDFs formatted that way. The problem isn’t a display issue, it’s that the PDFs are literally saved out as “spreads”, those double pages are a single page as far as the PDF is defined. Lord help you if they’re in printer-spreads instead of reader-spreads for some reason.

I had trouble looking up an online solution because I didn’t know the proper wording. Thanks to you and your guidance toward “spread”, after trying to looking up an online solution, I found this site:

I tried it out and it seems to have done the job extremely fine.
Of course, I guess you’d better not have to do anything confidential or work sensitive with this, but for the occasional troublesome manual, it seems to work perfectly! (excepting for the back cover which is split in half, but I do not really care ;)

Edit: limited to 3 documents/hour, but that is totally fine with my usage.

Hooray, I helped accidentally!

And I found the tool that site seems to be based on. It’s Java.
http://briss.sourceforge.net/