Turntable and Record Player advice

It’s not anti-intellectual; it’s a preference. Myself and others gave plenty of reasons as to why people prefer vinyl. Just because you don’t personally don’t see value in them for yourself does not make those reasons irrational.

And equating the enjoyment of records to Creationism? Really? That’s a bit of a stretch. It’s not like people who like vinyl are trying to pass legislation to force everybody else to listen to music in one specific way or something. It’s just their preference.

Here’s a better example: movies. I have friends for whom the idea of watching a movie outside of a theatre is sacrilege, because the experience of going to a theatre is part of the total movie experience to them. I personally disagree, because I feel that with a hi-def TV and blu-ray, I can get a visual experience at par with a theatre. I am not wrong, and they are not wrong - we simply have different opinions as to what makes for a better overall experience.

You’re hauling yourself up on a pretty damn stupid cross, TheTruckDr.

Everyone else, please quit feeding the troll.

The clear ideal is to put the album out on vinyl for packaging along with a download code form iTunes for the digital version.

Actually, a lot of the labels that are still pressing vinyl do that.

Yeah, my wife wanted the record player purely for nostalgia reasons and the “look” it would have in her office – retro cool.

That said, TheTrunkDr, there is a rational reason that someone might prefer vynil. The audio quality of an analog record with a good transfer is different than a CD or digital download. (Not saying it’s better, but there’s a difference in the sound.) CD sampling rates are a legacy of mid-1980s technologies, and digital downloads are even worse in their reproduction. There’s a depth and tonality to a record on a good turntable listened to with headphones or a good speaker/amp combo that’s different than what you hear on CD.

Plus, CDs don’t start popping and crackling after you play them a few times. :)

That’s why I’ve got one of these:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/gem/dandy.html

I like a little pop and crackle. They’re not musical sounds in any way, so it’s not like they’re distortion. They just add ambience.

I love how his review of a PVC pipe apparatus for cleaning records lists every spec of his ridiculous audiophile stereo setup down to the wiring and power conditioning.

Ha, yep. That’s the template for reviews, no matter what of.

Just when I thought I had enough vinyl accessories:

http://recordrevirginizer.com/order.html

$50 a bottle seems a little steep.

Can’t you just as easily do that with wood glue?

It would have to come off easily and leave no residue. Would be worth trying on a dirty thrift store record.

It’s a common record-store trick. There are a bunch of tutorials floating around the web for it.

So I’ve Googled since you posted…Hmmmmm, hmmmmm

Fucking bump!

I bought some vinyl - unexpected find of one of my favourite Australian artitsts. Now I need a turntable.

Entry level TT advice required. Integrated phono stage is a must, both of these are similar price range and readily available over here AUD$250-300 - Audio-Technica LP-60XBT vs Sony PS-LX310BT

Seems like it may be easier to get an elliptical stylus for the LP60 over the 310…

Thoughts?

I wouldn’t suggest either of those. Frankly, plastic tonearms and direct-drive motors don’t offer much in the way of quality sound.

If you’re willing to jack up the cost a little, I’d consider moving up to something like a Pro-Ject Primary E or a U-Turn Orbit. Still entry-level, but the build quality is pretty high from both of those companies, even at the lower-end of the line. I own a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, and I’ve played with both the Primary and the Orbit, and I can vouch for their general attention to detail.

Seconded on the U-Turn recommendation! I really like mine.

Is there some audio-mechanical reason for driving it with a belt like that? Back in the day I think my granddad pedalled some kind of gizmo to keep it moving.

I think the idea is to keep vibrations away from the platter.

With the U-Turn, you have to be a bit careful when flipping or changing records that you don’t accidentally mess up the belt with your fingers. It’s a little delicate but easy enough to get used to.

It takes a little finessing to loop the belt around the platter. It has a surprisingly loose fit. But I’ve only had to do it like three times in the two years since I got it.

This page shows how it’s done, including the way you switch between pulley grooves for 33 or 45. There’s an elegant mechanical simplicity to this thing which I had to adjust to but it’s cool to go back to basics for better sound.

Oh, and if you want some expert advice, here’s a good forum: