Turok

I start the demo in a hole. Everything’s black, and I can’t tell where I’m going or where I’m supposed to be. Eventually I get a gun that can shoot flares, each of which illuminates an area one foot square. I wander around in the darkness getting bitten by dinosaurs, while my asshole sidekick keeps yelling at me to hurry up and telling me that he’s going to leave me behind if I don’t get my ass in gear. Everything runs at maybe twenty frames a second. When I enter a new area, the game yanks control away from me and zooms off into an unnecessary cutscene, even when I’m being attacked. The innovations on the FPS genre seem to be that:

1. Dinosaurs charge me and knock me down, and I have to watch as my character climbs very slowly back to his feet.
  2. When I get close enough to an enemy, I can hit a button to knife him in slow motion. It’s kind of like the chainsaw melee in Gears of War, except not cool.

And eventually I die and get thrown back to where I was five minutes ago, and there’s nothing that makes me want to play that five minutes of game ever again.

Why would anyone release a demo like this? Surely they can’t think it makes us more likely to buy Turok.

Agreed. Maybe this explains why they made it an OXM exclusive demo in North America. They didn’t want too many people getting their hands on it and realizing the game sucks.

I actually had a lot of fun taking down dinosaurs with the knife…

The flare is supposed to be used to lure the dinos. Your complaint still stands though.

ok. So I am playing Turok and it’s… well… not terrible. I mean, ok, graphics are so-so but sometimes neat. Dust/Fog whatever is pretty crappy. Voice acting isn’t super, storyline is less than average and occasionally things happen where you wake up in the same place and all your weapons are gone again (or magically slightly different place and weapons are still gone), and knife dynamics which one could consider broken (cuz it flashes up a graphic for right trigger to knife a dino quite often ends up just slashing thin air instead of engaging the dino-kill).

bbbbbb uuut… well, I kinda like it. No brainpower necessary, Dino’s everywhere including raptors, killing them with knives is definitely fun and well it just is kinda fun in general when you dismiss all the other crap. Maybe it’s because my expectations were so low going in that after playing it I truly didn’t feel as bad. Am I what’s wrong with gamers today? Maybe.