Twilight Struggle tournament redux

So has this sort of fallen by the wayside?

I’ve been away from the game for a bit, but glad to join if the tourney is still happening.

I am traveling but will sit down and arrange when I get back on Sunday.

You’re in. What is your time zone?

Apologies, should’ve mentioned it above–I’m EST. Thanks for putting this together!

Ok, so @Maulet and @newbrof are on European time, and @Left_Empty and @Baconsoda are Asian time, while all the rest are on some sort of 'Merican time. Do I have that right?

yes, i am on european time!

So It looks like this:

Asian time
Left_Empty
Baconsoda

Euro time
Maulet
newbrof

American Eastern time
@Greatatlantic
@Leglaen
@Brian_Reynolds
@CF_Kane
@dtolman

American Central time
@CraigM

American Mountain time
@SadleyBradley

American Pacific time
@Sonoftgb

So, what I was thinking was 3 groups of 4, which would put Europe and Asia together, and take one Eastern denizen and group him with Pac/Mtn/Cen. However, sometimes a LOT of time difference is better than less time difference. Would GTC +1/+2 work with GTC +8?

Also, it tells me I can only “mention 10 users in one post.” !! @wumpus, WTF?

From my time in Europe, I seem to remember adjusting clock with American Pacific was pretty nightmarish.

As for the mention limit, you could ask the players to join the TwilightStruggleTournament group, and refer to it from now on (although I think a lot of people not involved in this tournament are still in that group, and I am unsure if/how you can setup a new group).

I’d be glad to accommodate & move to the CST/MST/PST group, if that would work best. (And not just because I want to stay away from @Brian_Reynolds until the later stages…)

I think East Coast combined works OK with Europe, especially if participants are willing to do a full round over the weekend.

Surely the reason for this limit is self explanatory? Hint: people can be jerks. Not you of course. You’re awesome.

If the tournament is still open I would join. (it looks sorta closed but I thought I’d ask anyway)

EDIT: I would be on euro time.

I played a few games with players from Eastern time zone before. Time difference is exactly 12 hours. I can play with someone before I go to sleep so long my potential Eastern time opponent can play from 11 to 12 PM Eastern time (you know it, the game itself is more interesting than your job…)

Since the game supports async play, why are time zones even relevant?

(Not trying to be an ass, just genuinely wondering)

The game will take usually a hundred back and forth over one week of time (two at most), so having some common time helps getting it done more smoothly, limiting the possibility for timeouts.

Yes, as @Left_Empty said, if you’re on a timer, the difference between being able to exchange several turns a day and one turn a day is huge.

So we can accommodate @quantum_mechani and have three full European players in that group. Taking @Leglaen out of the EDT group and moving to the Asian group gets us three players there as well. Then we keep the rest of the EDT players together and make the Central/Mountain/Pacific players their own group. So it would look like this:

Gruppe Asien
@Left_Empty
@Baconsoda
@Leglaen

Gruppe Europa
@newbrof
@Maulet
@quantum_mechani

Gruppe Ost
@Greatatlantic
@Brian_Reynolds
@CF_Kane
@dtolman

Gruppe West
@CraigM
@SadleyBradley
@Sonoftgb

What I suggest is that each player start a game against each other player in his/her group, except the four-player group in which I suggest

@Greatatlantic v @Brian_Reynolds
@CF_Kane v @dtolman
@Greatatlantic v @CF_Kane
@Brian_Reynolds v @dtolman

Games should be using “deluxe” cardset (+) with US +2 influence to start. I think a 14-day timer for the first round at least would be good.