Twilight Struggle tournament redux

Update:
(1) Dtolman and I pounded it out this evening - I won as US.
(2) Game with greatatlantic is now started (today) and we made it to AR6 of Turn 1 so good progress.

It was my fate to draw both US and the Middle East scoring card on turn 1 in both games :-)

CF_Kane and I are fighting it out in mid-war right now - score is fairly even… the clock might be the deciding factor, sadly.

I think this game is currently on sale on iOS/Play. Is it cross playable with people who have PC versions?

All versions can cross-play with all other versions.

Thanks for posting! Others?

Maulet and I finished our game at a breakneck pace. Started a game with newbrof but so far we only at AR 2.

@Left_Empty is quite modest–I got a couple of potent reminders (from his play) about the need to prepare for Brush War. Very enjoyable!

Currently in the middle of my match with @Baconsoda.

And a question: what type of tourney is this? Double-elimination (a la College World Series)? Single-elimination? Thanks!

The top player from each group will advance to the semifinals.

Congrats to CraigM, who totally curbstomped me.

Being that I struggle to keep track of multiple games at the same time, I tried to delay playing @Brian_Reynolds until after my game with @CF_Kane.

Well, that did not quite work out, but my game with Kane finished up tonight, with me winning by points in Turn 6. As the Soviets, I had some early luck with die rolls, such as flipping a fully US South Korea and couping Panama to flip with a 1 op card. So, I had an early lead, but my luck seemed to wane in the mid game, and in particular my Turn 5 hand was cavalcade of horrors. No Defcon suicide cards, but Pope JP2, OAS formed, Colonial Rearguard, Nixon Goes to China, and Alliance for Progress. I was trying to hold onto Five Year Plan as well, so not a lot of flexibility. I made the difficult choice to Space Alliance for Progress, which was 3 VP. That combined with the ongoing VP from denying the US coup targets paid off in Turn 6 when I was able to double dip OPEC using SALT.

I think at the time I won, I was not dominating any regions, though I did have a reasonable shot to do so with Africa. So, had European scoring come out Cane could have bought himself a lot more time to pull together more VP for an end game push, but I just got the right set up at the right time.

Beat @CF_Kane through a clock victory (his just ran out), which is not the way I’d like to win… though I think momentum was in my direction as we were entering Late War (Dominance in Europe, Central America, Mid East for me - SA and Africa for him - Asia split) - I had a small VP lead.

i don’t have news about newbrof

Game against @SadleyBradley enters mid game with the Soviets up 6 VP, in large part to an extremely fortunate Korean War on a turn that he otherwise gets locked out of Ops.

Curse you dice!

But it’s going to be intense. The soviets definitely came out in decent position, but the US still has some of its best days to come, I promise. (I hope)

Sorry guys, I had to forfeit the games … just cannot get into the mood, the soviets won I guess

It happens, no worries. One loss knocking maulet out seems unfair though, I’m ok with going best of 3 if there isn’t a better way to handle it.

The goal was at least two games per person, so best 2 of 3 would actually be good.

ok, do you set up another match against me?

That was a really interesting game, that last turn was a crazy nailbiter about if I’d get to use wargames, there were only barely enough vps among all the cards in both our hands for it to be a possibility.

yes, I had a good advantage in the firsts 3 turns, but after that it was even. Personally, I love optional cards, always, but war games is a troll card, as if you play as US or as URSS.
Congratulations quantum.

Comrade @SadleyBradley played a tough match, with the Soviets nearly taking control of the Americas, but in the end the forces of Democracy were able to hold off, and eventually dominate.

The last two turns were brutal. Bradley queued up the most potent turn I’ve seen under Red Scare/ Purge in turn 9. It almost didn’t impact him, especially since the combo of Ames headline, Iran Hostage, then Terrorism meant I had no cards for AR 7 or 8, so he ended with two uncontested actions. Turn 10 he headlined Missile envy, which pulled ABM treaty from me, while my Grain Sales pulled Indo-Pakistan War.

But that’s where the good times ended. When the Soviets play Panama Canal, AWACS, and Ask Not, you know it’s not pretty.

The final score was US +20 in final scoring, but that doesn’t tell how tight and intense the game really was.