Twin-stick shooter developer 10tons sets the genre back 15 years

Sweet, another Jydge convert! One day, we’ll have all of yoy with ys!

-Tom

Update: still playing it. The bad part is that it only has 18 levels. The good part is that there isn’t two difficulties as I believed at first, but four of them, and as I commented before each one is not just more difficult, but it’s like a remix of the map. The second version of one mission instead of having a target to kill it has 3 hostages, or it put the hostages in another room with guards, or it puts mines on a hallway, or it closes a door and it opens another. The objectives for the medals are usually different, like be not be seen, or not kill anyone, get the target in 30 seconds, or use only melee, or not break anything, etc.

The real star here is the build system. It really opens up after a while, you can do:
-melee builds (there are 4-5 weapon mods for extra melee damage, knockback enemies with melee, make explosions with melee, block shots with melee, etc)
-stealthy ninja builds (mods to turn invisible while being still, to turn invisible in the dark, to not be seen through glass)
-Rambo builds (extra health + extra armor + riot shield + energy shield for example)
-debuff builds (make enemies weapon have a shorter range + slower projectiles)
-drone builds (2 drones + hacking + friendly mines)
-bulldozer build (fast boots + wall breaker)
-Sniper build (sniper weapon + piercing lead + long range + murderous lead + tactical view)
-stun build (stun grenades + stunning pain + extra melee damage)
-Charm build (lovestruck, psycho-darts, extra specials)

So as you go on playing on higher difficulties and more rare objectives, the game is not only about being good, but about designing the appropriate build that make possible what at first it seems a very hard if not impossible task.

I finally got round to a proper play of Nex Machina (bought because of music) and realised i need to play more twin stick shooters and ended up at the beginning of the thread and bought Tesla Vs Lovecraft.

Im through to the hard difficulty but whats quite apparent by now is that progression is heavily based on random perks and drops. I would have sunk all my crystals into epic perk chance and shuffle had i known.

Jydge and Neon Chrome looks like for the list and my next buys but do they also rely on random perks/drops?

Any scrolling twin stick shooters in the vein of Ikari Warriors/Heavy Barrel? Not played anything like that for a while.

Neon chrome is more random, in Jydge the progression is set in stone.

So I finally was able to dive into this yesterday:

OMG SO FUN. Like, raising an army of undead chickens is a sight to see. And they will FUCK YOU UP.

Can’t wait to unlock bears. I rose one bear from the undead and it was AMAZING.

and today Jydge is 61% off on Steam. They must have known i wishlisted it yesterday.

I bought Undead Horde. It’s currently in early access. After spending a few hours with it I’m putting in down and waiting for 1.0.

It’s not a mess by any means, just feature-light and unfinished. What’s there works perfectly fine, but it needs more.

I guess I will update this thread with my opinion on Time Recoil, another dual stick shooter from 10tons.

It isn’t good. It’s perfunctorily decent dual stick shooter I guess, with a core mechanic of time slowdown and a few powers on top of it, but not better than any other dozens of similar indie action games on the market. It’s by design a more stripped down, streamlined version of their other games, without the customization or the meta progression of Jydge or Neon Chrome, with less variety of weapons, enemies and powers, having only in exchange of all that a linear campaign with a story about time travel, which well, the execution is pretty bad at least.

Good job I’ve yet to get around to playing that one, then! It can sit in the backlog for a while longer.

1.0 is out, time to go back!

Hooray, a sequel to the coolerific Tesla vs Lovecraft has been announced:

Set in the world of award-winning Tesla vs Lovecraft , the bitter enemies Nikola Tesla and HP Lovecraft have joined together to fight the one true nemesis of mankind. And they are not alone, for Marie Curie and Mary Shelley will also be joining the fight.

Tesla Force is a rogue-lite twin-stick shooter where you fight against Lovecraftian horrors. The levels and the world are procedurally generated for endless war against the abominations.

I didn’t like the core loop in TvL ( find parts, be a mech for a few seconds, repeat). Maybe this will be better?

The random drops dictated if you were going to finish the level. I could only get past some of the harder levels if i got Uzi early on plus certain other drops, or a one of the unique weapons. Judge was more skill based. I was a bit bored with twin sticks by the time i bought Neon Chrome but that has potential for next time im in the mood.

Woo, another 10tons game announced: Skeletal Avenger (no apparent relation to Iron Man or Thor)

About This Game

Skeletal Avenger is a fast-paced ultra-responsive hack’n’slash action with a massive weapon arsenal and decapitating special moves! Avenge a thousand wrongs in a reverse roguelite where the skeletal avengers ascend from the depths to extract vengeance!

• Fast-paced ultra-responsive hack’n’slash action
  • Decapitate yourself to do special attacks: Your hat determines the effect
  • Reverse roguelite: Ascend from the depths and exact revenge
  • Endless amount of quests to complete - each one ending in sweet revenge
  • Gain rewards and equip your avengers with increasingly powerful gear
  • Single player and 2-4 player local co-op

No word if this game will be coming out before or after another 10tons game, which I wishlisted in January 2019, Dysmatle.

Skeletal Avenger seems a fairly quick dev job (at least for a dev team who has made already 5-6 similar games!) while Dysmantle seems to be their big bet in making something bigger and better.