Twisted Metal - Anthony Mackie and Peacock

Sure, why not.

I guess the Perfect Dark or Zaxxon IPs weren’t available?

-Tom

Now that I’ve read the announcement, check out how the show is presenting itself:

Move over, Paul W.S. Anderson Death Race reboots!

Also, poor Anthony Mackie. I mean, I’m sure the guy is keeping busy cashing all his paychecks, but remember how good he was in Half Nelson? Me either. It’s hard to track after all his crap roles. :(

-Tom

’Twisted Metal’ has been a global phenomenon for more than 25 years but it was the creative vision for this live-action adaptation, led by Michael Jonathan Smith, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, that blew us away

I didn’t know that! A global phenomenon for 25 years. That’s amazing. I need to write that down. “A global phenomenon”, that’s excellent. We had so many global phenomenons recently, but they are nowhere near 25 years old. And this one is. And this is an original Variety story? Do they always write such amazing stories? Variety could become a global phenomenon, too.

*) I know Variety are only quoting the creators, still silly

Church will star opposite previously announced series leads Anthony Mackie and Stephanie Beatriz. The show is described as a half-hour action comedy based on the Playstation video games of the same name.

In the show, a motor-mouthed outsider (Mackie) is offered a chance at a better life, but only if he can successfully deliver a mysterious package across a post-apocalyptic wasteland. With the help of a trigger-happy car thief (Beatriz), he’ll face savage marauders driving vehicles of destruction and other dangers of the open road, including a deranged clown who drives an all too familiar ice cream truck.

Church will play Agent Stone, said to be a cold and unyielding post-apocalyptic highway patrolman who rules the roads with a silver tongue and a twisted iron fist, prosecuting even the smallest crimes with the harshest of judgements. Agent Stone will stop at nothing to bring law and order back to the Divided States of America, and will kill anyone in his path who defies his power.

This looks so bad! Setting a new standard for cheap-looking shows.

I think this might’ve been the low point of Summer Games Fest? I’m not sure, I mute all the cringe stage interviews.

Weird disconnect for me with Will Arnett voicing over Samoa Joe (the physical Sweet Tooth). I know what he sounds like, and it ain’t Will Arnett!

Yes, it looks really bad from that excerpt. This scene looked like it came from a YouTube fan film.

Someone else pointed this out, but this is supposed to be about cars, and that clip is entirely indoors.

Such a perplexing IP to choose to adapt…

Oh no, Anthony Mackie. Oh no.

This looks fun bad. Jason Mantzoukas sighting at 10 seconds!

Isn’t he the new Captain America? I wonder if Disney is having second thoughts.

Also, you can tell a lot of us have aged out of this series because it’s recycling a Blues Brothers joke: “Pier One Imports.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I just finished the season finale of this show and it’s shockingly good. Like, it’s deeply messed up we live in a world where this show turned out fun. They obviously had no idea how to market this, and not focusing on the Mackie/Beatriz dynamic when promoting the series feels like a huge mistake.

So, if you have Peacock, watch Mrs. Davis. But after you’re done with that, Twisted Metal is worth a look.

Not sure if serious.gif