Twitch doesn't just want to stream every game, they want to sell them too

Wait, so as an Amazon Prime member I automatically get a premium Twitch subscription?
I have learned something new today! Thank you thread!

Yup.

Awesome. It even comes with 20% off some new titles (boxed copies) and in game freebies for various games each month. Cool.

I don’t want an alternative to Steam. I like Steam. Will competition do it good? Sure, but it has that already. I certainly don’t want another launcher, I have enough of them now.

I don’t really care about a competitor either. But I also don’t care about another launcher. I’m laid back like that about how I access my PC games. I’ll even use a disc.

This is now live.

Pretty much how I feel, yup.

How is it different from the Steam Desktop App?

http://www.troll.me/images/matlock-wants-you/shut-your-damn-whore-mouth-thumb.jpg

OK, but really, how is it so different? And why the antipathy, what’s one more launcher in the grand scheme of things?

Because it is one more launcher and all these games are already available on the entrenched leader (Steam). I’ve got plenty of launchers already, thanks.

It’s kinda like me with chat clients. At this point, I generally need to keep FB Messenger, Google Hangouts (two accounts), Skype, MightyText (to grab and reply to texts from my phone in real-time) Slack, and Discord open most of the time to catch inbound chats/messages from my various work and personal contacts. Luckily for me, FB and Hangouts now route through Pidgin almost perfectly, which at least centralizes notifications and contact lists for those clients, but all the others are their own beasts. And I know sooner or later I’m gonna get stuck roped into Curse, as well. It’s just fucking maddening to have 18 different webapps and desktop programs open to just communicate with people.

For games, ideally, there’d be no necessary external program (I still kinda resent Steam), but if we’re stuck with some sort of unified storefront/DRM solution, can we at least just have one of them so I don’t need to remember which of sixteen different services I own game X on when time comes for me to buy the expansion pack/DLC for it?

That’s it exactly.

(Also these other apps almost never work as well as Steam or offer as much functionality, and Steam is not exactly perfect to start with.)

So someone says to you, hey free games! Come and get them! And you ask what’s the catch? And they say, just gotta use our launcher! Your response is, no fuck you, I have enough launchers and don’t really like free stuff. And this seems reasonable to you?

Considering that’s exactly the sort of sales technique used by all sorts of other scammy, scummy, or just unnecessary outfits throughout the entirety of human history, I’d say being a little dubious or even just not-fully-onboard is pretty damned reasonable, yes.

Why? What do you think is happening here? Where’s the scam?

I included two other categories of organization in my list :P

I agree. I dont see a big deal. The launcher can sit along side steam, uplay, gog galaxy etc. if I dont want them chewing up memory while I play another platforms games I just kill the process.

Yeah, but I’m still not getting it. You really lose nothing here except a measure of convenience by going through another launcher. I’ve been using it for about a month and I’ve received I think four games. I don’t actually know if they’re any good or not because I haven’t played them but I don’t really care because they’re free.