Twitch Streaming - Qt3 style

Maybe they aren’t interested if they can’t own the entire eco-system?

I’m using my Mac, so the set up is kind of wacky for me. I use a program called Cocoasplit along with CamTwist and SoundFlower to route my audio and video. So far, so good. Had some bandwidth issues last night, but they seemed to clear up later on. I might try to stream some more tonight

I will try to write a mac guide if anyone is interested. Otherwise, the only actual piece of advice I have for people is “your stream key is on the twitch dashboard.”

I haven’t been streaming as much as I’d like lately due to Internet issues, but I stream various things at Twitch pretty often when stuff’s working.

War Prattler would be a pretty good name for an RTS streamer.

Maybe. It’s just so weird to me. For a service as forward-looking as Steam, the fact that Sony, Microsoft, EA, and various other companies have made more progress on this front is nutty. Even CS:GO and Dota 2, which have a huge presence on Twitch, don’t have a direct way to stream within the games. Hell, Age of Empires II HD can stream to Twitch!

Well, for DoTA2, they definitely want people to watch the matches in the game client, which actually has pretty amazing broadcasting capabilities.

Yeah, even uplay has twitch streaming built in now. The newer Nvidia gforce experience software also supports it for some of their card line.

A favorite capture software of mine (Action!) also supports it with minimal screwing around and very low impact, but for some reason it’s a subscription feature.

Yeah, Action is really easy to use and has a lot of good features, but there’s no way I’m going to pay a monthly fee to use it. I’ve been using OBS. It’s a PITA to set up, but it’s free.

OBS for people who just want to try streaming to see if they’d like it. I wouldn’t use any of that in game streaming stuff, it lacks flexibility. PM me if you need help configuring OBS, I’ve only done it like 8 zillion times.

Obviously, if you’re going to try to seriously get paid for streaming, then you’re going to need the fancy stuff that the pay programs offer. The kids seem to love the wacky on-screen graphics and a cam feed of the player. I’ve seen plenty of streamers get “constructive criticism” of their channels because they didn’t have graphic embellishments (“This stream looks cheap!”) or a cam PIP (“Cam feed now!”).

Nah, fuck that. All you need is a transparent .png logo and a mic that’s slightly better than your standard Wal-Mart piece of shit and you’re good. I don’t think streaming should be about making money at the beginning, and OBS is free, that’s why I suggested it. And I think those green screen cam guys are retarded. If I need to look at a some guy sitting in a chair, I can always look in a mirror.

I’m not planning on doing PiP unless people like really want it. Then I probably still won’t do it.

Oh, I totally agree. I think the PiP thing is dumb, but the audience seems to prefer the channels that have them. I can’t count the number of times I’ve seen channels get negative comments because they didn’t have a cam feed.

OBS is a free solution and offers all of this, and I’d argue is better than Xsplit now (save for a few cases of unsupported hardware like a Hauppauge capture device). The initial setup curve is a little daunting but there are great guides on the OBS forum. Would highly recommend it if you’re looking for any customization options for your stream.

Depends on the content, sometimes seeing the streamer’s reaction to what’s happening in-game can be just as entertaining as the game.

Also you can always become a boobstreamer if you’re a hot girl or a guy who’s very good with makeup.

If you guys want to actively watch me be terrible, I’ll be on this stream tonight - http://www.twitch.tv/lolfroskurinn

She’s going to watch one of my games and comment on it. Be around 6:30 EST

I disagree - I want to see the person most of the time. I follow a lot of PEOPLE. If you just want to watch some competitive DOTA matches or maybe learn about a game you’ve never played then you’re right - the person don’t really matter - but I watch it as pretty much a TV replacement. I want to be entertained and I like seeing a real person there and not just a disembodied voice.

I am NOT clicking on that.

-Tom

got postponed, we’re doing it tomorrow night at 630 est

gonna stream some though, if you feel crazay