Two Point Hospital - Theme Hospital Like

I have hopes that the developers can patch the balance a bit. But you are right in that article tends to squash the buying excitement a wee bit.

I tend to think he is just ruining the game for himself. From my experience of the game, exploiting it like that is a choice. I haven’t done every hospital yet but so far I see no evidence you need to do it to succeed.

Yeah, you don’t ned to do it, it’s just that they made some odd design choices that make it very advantageous to do so. Some people can’t resist when given the opportunity to min/max.

Yeah, there’s no need to play the system like that and still have a great time. There are posters that add training speed and I do plunk those all over my training room, but that’s about it (and I wouldn’t mind if those sorts of benefits didn’t stack from identical items).

If you didn’t like Theme Hospital, I doubt you’ll like this game. I did like TH but it was unstable as everything for me. I never made it to the end stages due to repeated crash to desktops (on completely different PCs over the years), so far this seems better in that regard at least. There’s a little more micronanagement than I’d like here and the AI about food/drink/entertainment/bathroom is atrocious, but I’m having fun 20+ hours in. For me, it’s been well worth the price of entry.

One thing that bugged me about the article linked above was the repeated sniping about the time scale. Yes, it does seem odd that patients wait in the hospital for scores of days, but that sort of dual time scale goes back to Railroad Tycoon. I don’t get why it’s irksome.

No. You do not need to min and max to play and actually win. Are there ways to exploit, well sure, and if that is fun for someone I say have at it. You can naturally play though, win, and not resort to too many tricks to do it. I know… I’ve done it. The only one I felt was kind of exploity for my tastes was the Duckworth hospital

Again though… they didn’t really elevate Theme Hospital’s formulate. It’s essentially a carbon copy but which makes that game easier to play on modern machines. It even seems to have some of the same issues, like weird pathing, patients getting stuck in the varoius Wards and moon beast or rat, that’s the same mechanic minus the mini game rat levels (wthh. I think I paid under 30 for the game, and I am okay with the carbon copy. Maybe down the road we’ll see some innovation with newer titles, but Theme Hospital in a today’s skin, sold.

It’s not perfect, but it’s fun. If you want to fill a GP office with nothing but medicine cabinets… which you can’t really do initially because you wont’ have the money for it… sure go ahead. If that’s fun for someone, why not. it sounds like it was not fun for him, he did it anyway, and then mentioned how much fun he wasn’t having so… why do it?

Thanks for the answers, guys!

Whelp I think I am on the last hospital based on the size and centrality of it. Once I complete that I can go back to my other games like… Monster Hunter and MP Stardew Valley and all these other ones I am way less obsessed with but thoroughly enjoy.

Or you can perfect each one you already built! :-)

Perfect? I got three stars on all of them!

Then your job is done. Time to get Pathfinder Kingmaker!

Haha, well not quite. I’ve got the big one in the middle, one hospital left. I dare not pick up Kingmaker until I finish some of my other games! I do try to finish almost every game I buy… except Skyrim. Left time i launched that I couldn’t even remember what the main quest was, and I hate the inventory system.

Is there a penalty for firing people? Like do the rest of the staff get upset?

There is. It’s not morale but hospital level. If you have really skilled staff that you fire or quit, you can drop your hospital level which can be a challenge for some of the hospitals. It’s a little unclear that this is happening though because I don’t think it actually shows until they’re off the map, not when you click the button.

I should add, that usually way into the game, like towards the end of the star. At the beginning sometimes I hire staff to train others or get by and fire them later. So early on it’s not much of a penalty. You just don’t want to fire your fully skilled staff member if you are trying to hit one of those harder hospital levels.

I’m only on hospital 3 so I’m still doing a lot of learning. Can I ask a few more questions?

• Should I be increasing the price of all my stuff a bit?
  • Does salary happiness of the employees affect how well they can cure people?

Of course. I’ll just say I am not a expert. I find a number of the 3 stars challenging and one hospital I found not fun to play at all but… overall I like and am near completion.

I felt no need to mess with prices for most the game. I think there is a strategy out there for this, especially to get more feet in the doors because you can mark the cheap stuff down and mark the expensive stuff up, but sometimes they refused to pay even a mild increase like 10%. Suddenly my 20k surgery netted zero dollars; I did not like that. 3 in you might not have it yet, but I use marketing to guide foot traffic more, and I might have dropped some of the low level diagnoses to get more traffic on only a few hospitals. If you’re interested in that approach though I do think there are people out there that wrote about how to do it.

I am not 100% on the morale thing. Unhappy staff are slow and walk like their feet turned to cement, so I frequently keep them at normal, actively. The only time I really reached for high morale though is in later hospitals that require that for the stars, and that requirement can be really high. Demoralized staff are expensive and require immediate fixes, so I tried to avoid that. I want to say I don’t think my staff members who pranced around the halls were more efficient because they were so happy. I think that has more to do with their skill level and skills and the room bonuses.

Excellent thanks. So I should maybe do raises that get the semi smiling face then? It’s kinda the intermediate one.

I didn’t mess with hospital prices until my 5th or 6th hospital.

I need to get back to this, argh so much to play… and I have like 5 hours of free time a week. D:

I try to keep them yellow which I guess is meh. I mostly didn’t care until the at moral requirements was in a lot of hospitals. There is a way to look at all your staff at once too. you can pause the game, give all those unhappy, ungrateful bastards a small raise and get them into the yellow again.

The one thing to keep in mind though is a couple of hospitals are really profit centric… so I kept floating the staff at the bottom and letting them drop on that one.

It’s good to experiment a bit early on though because right now you can toy with it, so later when it becomes a requirement, you kind of know what works and what you like. Like if staff morale is the top concern and money isn’t, at least not beyond keeping the hospital open and running, what would you change differently.

I think the best thing they did with this game is give you the option to choose your difficulty. If you only want to do the one star, you can still open everything. 2 star I would say is kind of normal and some of the three stars are… hard. I did reset a few hospitals because I lost control… on the three star. I only got frustrated, as in not fun, with one hospital. “Winning” that hospital gave me no satisfaction either.

Can you change everyone’s salaries at once? Or a few at a time?

Yes. You open the the staff window and hit the $ button.

I usually sort by happiness because the ones that are usually unhappy are also the ones that have a lower salary than they want. You just drag that little bar over and it tells you the percentage and dollar amount increase as well as their new smiley level. You can also mouse over the happiness bar and get their happiness level too. This is more important later when you’re trying target the higher requirements.