Two Point Hospital - Theme Hospital Like

Is there a way to fire staff members?

Welp, there goes my interest level. :(

-Tom

Hey, is this allowed? Aren’t supposed to review these things. Oh wait, I have to donate to Patreon to force play don’t I?

There’s always Request Wednesday!

-Tom

Steam friend me if you haven’t, I see there are leader boards! :D

I mean,yeah. It’s explicitly that.

Anyway, I played the first three tutorial hospitals up to getting the first star, and so far I’m loving it. It’s a modern Theme Hospital! I’m still not entirely sure I understand staff training, but other than that I’m having a great time. It has lots of little QoL improvements over the original and looks gorgeous. My one complaint is that I can’t find any way to turn on subtitles.

And you know what, I am totally fine with that. For me, that is just what the Doctor ordered!

I understand how PA might be relevant here (I’ve never played it, and thanks to the theming never will, but I’ve heard good things), and I can’t speak to Rimworld (the creator’s public comments ensured I’ll never play that one), but Factorio doesn’t seem to me to even fall into the same genre in a meaningful way. I adore it, but it’s a logistics and construction game, not a management sim.

PA is much closer to DF-inspired games than it is to this, which is a classic Bullfrog style management “sim”. Two Point Hospital’s not trying to engender any of the emergent narratives or even systems-driven barely-contained chaos of the games Cliffski cites. It’s very traditional in the vein of TH (obviously), Theme Park, Startopia etc. I can understand why some people wouldn’t like that, but given that we’re overrun with DF-alikes and have barely any Bullfrog style games any more that aren’t F2P crap, I love it.

Absolutely. I mean, DF-alikes are by their nature unfocused, haphazard things about systems interlocking in unpredictable ways. In principle, that can be great if it’s done right (I’m not sure that for me, personally, it ever has been), but it seems to me there’s a LOT of room for focused management sims in the market at the moment. It’s one reason I’m really looking forward to Parkitecht as well.

Isn’t that like saying that people don’t want Civilization games anymore, because now we have the deeper Paradox games?

To be fair, I do kind of feel that way. When I want to play a Civ game, I play Civ 4 or SMAC. But mostly I play EUIV.

I have 5 hours into this game, and I think I am bored of it. I am not sure why. I recall having a lot of fun with Theme Hospital. I think it is that there are no interesting challenges and that I keep doing the same things over and over.

I have Theme Hospital on Origin (they gave that away), and I played it when it came out. There’s lots of fun with new illnesses, new rooms, new machines and etc that you got to unlock but the challenges really came from the levels.

Do they still have the helicopter, the emergency arrivals?

Yes, but not until a bit late into it.

hnmm, yeah if they don’t have things like that Earthquake level, the constant stream of emergency helicopters, sometimes for a machine you don’t have yet, the rat level, that one where this cold was spreading around, oh and the VIPs… like the mechanics were never that difficult, just fun and interesting, but the levels made it hard.

There are also earthquakes :) It does dissolve into craziness the further you go, just like TH.

Sounds like fun to me. Not that I need anymore games but… Newegg flash has it for 25.99. That used to be my bargain bin price at Software Etc. long ago and Graveyard Keeper is annoying me.

Whelp I bought it, got to the second hospital and really like it. This is totally Theme Hospital for today’s world. So far 1 Star results lead to little if any challenge but 2 and three were getting there. The interface is fine, not extraordinary. The ability to edit rooms without closing them, to move them all that is way better, nearly all my complains with that in the original game are addressed here. The staff hiring options are a little more complex. Not a fan of the in game currency approach to unlock things, feels a little weirdly mobile, F2P even though it’s not.

Now does Two Point really add to Theme Hospital aside from just making it seem like a modern game… I am early in but going to say, no. There is nothing revolutionary in this approach but playing Theme Hospital without the old kinks with just a hint of new seasoning is still fun. There are a couple of things I don’t care for which is… the music. I mean the original wasn’t stellar but it didn’t stimulate my dislike button and was rather unique in a good way. The animation is cute but… it’s not exaggerated enough. The visual conditions should just… stick out more. Discovering new conditions seem to be less thrilling, maybe it’s the whole inbox click here to see that alongside other notifications that doesn’t work for me. The award system, I am not siting through that entire animation sequence more than once. Too long, and they should not have copied that.

I’d say if you want Theme Hospital with some modern paint, this is it. If you are looking for a step forward, something that injects new ideas and new challenges, a remodel or just something unexpected… this isn’t it. Project Hospital is still out there though so maybe they’ll offer that.

Exactly. And I love it. We were told modern Theme Hospital and really, this is.