Two Towers

As everyone here knows, I’m not really a fan of Tolkien’s books. I did, however, make an effort of reading the Two Towers and found that I enjoyed it a lot more when I knew I could skip over Fellowship. I mean, I could even read about the Ents’ discussion.

Which is why I’m surprised to find myself disappointed with the movie. It’s a good movie, it just isn’t as good as Fellowship. I think the book ruined it for me…

I really didn’t like a lot of the changes. The worg battle was useless. Rohan has 300 men of any age? Because 2000 able-bodied ones left? Wouldn’t the 300 leave? (sorry, I don’t buy into the idea of loyalty in this case. Especially not to a king like that.)

Given how subtle magic generally is in Middle Earth, I found Saruman’s possession of Theoden rather heavy-handed. So was the entire battle of Helm’s Deep. It was just so wrong. Peter Jackson tried way too hard to make it heroic. The whole setup, scenario and resolution was ridiculous.

What happened with… Faramir? (Boromir’s brother) was also completely unnecessary. It also made Gollum’s control over Smeagol much less believable. Not to mention that the movie didn’t touch upon Sauron’s belief that Gondor or another of the allies would have the ring and use it against him. And if Sauron knows the ring is that close… ah… never mind.

It… is… not… the… book… for the… last god damn… time… stop saying it… argh.

Wow… aren’t… you… the… master… of… the… ellipse… and… the… obvious… duh.

I know it’s not the book. That’s not my problem. Fellowship wasn’t the book and I loved it. The changes were good. Changes to Two Towers weren’t.

Wow… aren’t… you… the… master… of… the… ellipse… and… the… obvious… duh.

I know it’s not the book. That’s not my problem. Fellowship wasn’t the book and I loved it. The changes were good. Changes to Two Towers weren’t.[/quote]

Of course they weren’t, John.

You know, the stuff you mentioned bothered me upon my first viewing as well. 2nd time I went, however, that stuff didn’t bother me much. I think I’d agree that Fellowship was better, but I reserve judgement until the extended version of the Two Towers is released.

That’s pretty much how I feel about it. Not a bad movie, in fact, a good movie, but not as good as the Fellowship.

I didn’t mind the Worg battle. The Rohan numbers did seem very messed up though, as was the fact that they didn’t have many soldiers left–just old men and kids. I did like the Helm’s Deep battle itself though.

That remains the one change which I am really unhappy with (probably because I identified strongly with Faramir when I read the books).

I think I’d agree that Fellowship was better, but I reserve judgement until the extended version of the Two Towers is released.

In other words… until Peter Jackson releases a patch? My problem with that is that there are already scenes in The Two Towers (the elven cloak scene, for one thing) that make absolutely no sense if you haven’t seen FOTR: Extended Version. Which most people who saw it in theatres or on DVD when TTT came out haven’t (including me).

I saw TTT again on Friday night and, if anything, I was impressed even more by how many wholes in the plot there would be for the average viewer. You guys had me almost convinced with your explanations on why, for example, Merry and Pippen knew Sauron had torn down all the trees, or why Eomer had walked off with the entire cavalry of Rowan when he defected. But in the context of the film, none of these reasons make sense, and had even the knackers in my audience shaking their heads and grumbling in disbelief. Sloppy.

Top 5 annoyances for me with the greatest movie trilogy of all time.

1. Eomer has the Rohan army
  2. Elven Cloaks need to be nerfed - way too strong
  3. Nazgul see the ring - shrug it off. I guess they do not need it anymore
  4. Worg fight - excuse for fake death of Aragorn
  5. I hated the conclusion of Helm’s Deep - in the book the trees <Hourns> annhilate the Isengard army completely. This is what frees the army of Rohan to ride to Minas Tirith. They are not going to abandon their land and families while a ravaging army of orcs is roaming in there back yard. This makes sense. In the movie there is a big charge, the orcs retreat and they call the battle over. But the army is still intact. Why would Theoden take his army and ride away with all those orcs still around?

You definitely should go and read the condensed version.

Oh no, I suffer from LOTR link incontinence. I must add another link I just saw on Gone Gold: If LotR Had Been Written By Someone Else!?

Oh my god… funny… can’t breathe. That’s great.

I only know three people (grandmother and her friend both aged 68 and someone at work aged 48) who haven’t read the book, but have seen both movies, and they all preferred the Two Towers (thought it was great). They weren’t happy with the pacing in the middle section of the Fellowship (“too slow”), whereas the TT was just right.

Me? It was good, and I think it will be much better after a second viewing. Some of the changes are rather surprising, and it’s always hard for a movie to compete with years of brewing imagination, whereas non-readers of the books can start with a clean slate.

I happened to catch the middle portion of Two Towers again, and I don’t think it’s not gonna hold up that well, relative to the first film and maybe in general. A lot of the writing and acting is almost B-movie level (Legolas, Gimli, Arwen), and the special effects, though very good, managed to really take me out of the film this time – of course, I was paying a little more attention to them this time, and I noticed a lot more “mistakes” in the sense that stuff didn’t look very realistic. Didn’t have that feeling so much in the first film.

O.k., here’s the sole example of Canada being superior to the US, heh.

Here is another fun TTT link: Engrish TTT Captions.

“Bring your pussy face to my ass” :D