Two Worlds II: We know the first game was terrible

Right-click its listing and see if there’s something like a “Show First Run Info” option. Some games use that area to list extra or differently-formatted serial numbers associated with them.

Thanks, but that option doesn’t appear for this game. Good idea, though :)

My Gamersgate version has a 16 character code if that’s any use… at all :)

Right, I’m about 3 hours in and … it’s really, really bad so far. Easily A+ for efforts but the implementation is a complete failure.

It’s probably unfortunate I played The Witcher 2 and Assassin’s Creed 2 just before trying Two Worlds 2 but the comparison just kills the game for me.

It doesn’t have either the graphics (and what’s with the massive bloom you cannot turn off effects?!) or the polish. The combat is bland and “bashy”. As for the “world” and the situations/quests you encounter, it’s exactly the sort of cack-handed, over the top, simplistic presentation Witcher was such a nice break from.

Oh, a starving village, let’s talk to the leader who tells you to talk to another leader who makes you go through some “ancestral trial” to take over as village chief instead of simply selling/giving you some FUCKING FOOD! I mean, who comes up with that sort of stuff.

And did they REALLY need to put a rhinoceros in your path and strongly push you towards butchering the thing and salvaging its horn? I don’t usually give a shit about political correctness but rhinos ARE an engendered species hunted to extinction for their horns. It’s meant to be a fantasy world with orcs and shit in it, call it a unicorn or something.

I’ll try really hard to keep playing a little bit longer, hoping it gets better but … urgh …

And to top it of, even the steam version has some sort of internet activation DRM shit as well.

Srsly?

wtf is “cack-handed”?

Poorly handled. Incompetently done.

Yes :(

Not entirely sure why it generated such a strong reaction in me. Possibly because what’s the point of spending time and effort to introduce a rhinoceros? Why not an elephant? There’s plenty of other animals they could have modelled and it’s not as if the setting imposed using real animals.

I’m not about to start a boycott or demonstrate in front of #10 and that won’t stop me from playing (other issues will) but it felt terribly pointless and gratuitous.

I played through that section and never had a Rhino block the race route. Probably just some unlucky pathing. I didn’t find a quest to kill one either so haven’t felt the need to kill one yet.

I didn’t really think TW2 was all that great, but the Rinoceros’ … I slaughtered them by the dozens.

I mean, you have a problem killing off virtual Rhinos because their real-world counterparts are an endangered species, but don’t have a problem killing off hundreds of virtual humaoids who possibly have virtual wives and virtual kids?
Har har har.

rezaf

I bought TW2 during the sale and it’s the only game with regard to which I’m not completely sure that it was a good buy.

How long into the game does one need to play until one unlocks the plethora of magic spell crafting?

Yes, because elephants are totally not hunted for their ivory tusks.

I am aware of that and I think you missed the point I was trying to make: the choice of the animal is completely arbitrary so why choose one which has some special significance in the “real world”. It’s a rhino, I would have been as shocked by an elephant or a baby seal. There just does not appear to be any specific logic behind the decision to introduce a rhino in a fantasy game.

Also, Rezaf, it’s because they introduced a real animal into a fantasy context that I find it so jarring. Killing fantasy animals/creatures does not feel the same.

Different people, different perception, makes the world an interesting place.

Farfrael, I wasn’t just specifically replying to you, I read similar notions in a number of threads recently, and the whole idea seems so laughtable to me.
Fantasy creatures are one thing, but in most RPGs (for example), you also kill bandits, enemy knights, magicians etc. that are not only humanoid but actually humans. Yeah, they’re fantasy world humans, and often “evil” at that, but still, they’re humans. And people kill them relentlessly.
But then a Rhino CAN be killed and you unpack your morals?
Cmon.

Also, about “Why Rhinos?”, in this particular case, it’s prolly a bit arbitrary, though they obviously wanted to make the place feel a bit like “Africa”, with the Ostriches, Rhinos, Savannahs, oasis-like cities etc.
Lol, I don’t even remember if the people in the villages were black. I guess not.
Most fantasy worlds are, more or less, based on the real world, though.
For example, most of them (TW2 as well) have horses…

rezaf

How do you ride a horse smoothly? I am finding it a fucking nightmare.

It’s a odd design decision to prevent boredom.
You just hammer the spurs button until the meter is full and then, when it drops do 3/4 or something, you bump it up to full again.
It slightly annoyed me throughout the game, but I kinda got used to it.
Also, in a lot of the later-game areas, you cannot get horses period.

rezaf

Ok, thanks - it keeps doing jumps when i do that. I must be doing it wrong!

it’s the right-click button to spur the horse, space bar to jump

as mentioned by rezaf, you need to keep right-clicking regularly. The fuller, the bar, the faster the horse goes

whilst we are trading tips, anybody knows how to move more than 1 item at once? i.e. when you have a pile of 15 iron, do you need to keep clicking 15 times to move the iron to your chest? I tried the usual modifiers (shift, ctrl etc) but no success.

well, sorry if I appeared to “unpack my morals”.
Without completely derailing the thread and as a last attempt to explain my thoughts, what struck me was the deliberate decision to include a specific type of “real world” creature (which has strong “real world” issues associated with it) in an otherwise bland fantasy universe.

My surprise had nothing to do with whether it’s human or not, evil or not, but the decision to include that specific animal, with its specific “real world” baggage and associations, instead of say any other fantasy animal or even some more bland other “real” animals.

I can see why some modelling/designer guy would not give a shit about whether he’s modelling a rhino or an elephant or a bear or an ant etc and the context but some people will notice the choice of a specific animal and it may trigger a reaction.

Played some more, I can see what they are trying to do and how ambitious they were and I can respect them for it but, for me, the execution falls terribly short and the game suffers as a result.

I guess I must just some latent affinity for euro RPGs or something, but I’m really, really enjoying this game after about 8 hours of play. Cool combat system, good leveling system, great dialog with NPCs, and an adequate story line (the only weak point, and I can live with that). Risen was my favorite RPG of the last couple of years, and Two Worlds II is definitely giving that same vibe. I’m thinking you either love this sub-genre, or you hate it.

Sorry farfrael, I couldn’t think of a better term.
I’ll play the “non-native english speaker” card.

As for moving items … it’s been a while, but wasn’t there a shortcut for that? CTRL+Mousebutton?

AP: It appeared to me that your enjoyment of the game highly depended upon your class/skill selection. Magic users appearently grew very powerful later on, but I was trying to play a warrior, and many battles were basically impossible later on with such a build. In the late game, I often had to resort to using cheesy maneuvers in order to continue.
I had a nice bow and arrows, and many an enemy would have proven to be my doom if I hadn’t kited him to some pillar or somesuch which I could climb up but the enemy could or would not. This was my last straw for quite a stretch of the game. After that, I had to use real cheats, lest I wouldn’t have been able to play on at all.
Horrible balancing, as far as I’m concerned.

rezaf