Two Worlds II: We know the first game was terrible

ok, that’s what i am doing wrong. thanks.

Uh-oh, I’m going with a ranger-style build majoring on bows with a minor in melee weapons. I think I’ll switch that major over to magic, given how you described the balance issues later in the game. Thanks for the heads up.

Just posted this in the deals thread, but maybe better here:

Wait, what’s the deal with Two Worlds II? There is a stand alone game and a tower defense version??? Is the TD game any good? Is there a package that has em both together?

I find the combat in TW2 to be absolutely horrible, YMMV. Div2 I thought was actually a fantastic game, that really surprised me because I didn’t expect it to be good at all lol.

Divinity 2 is fucking fantastic, it has the best writing of any fantasy game in the last 10 years.

OK, this game is really getting hard really quickly. I’m playing on medium difficulty, and in most of the initial quests I’m way out of my league. Wandering around the initial island where the home base is, I find a couple of gorm camps where I’m getting double teamed by enemies who can kill me with 3 hits. If I try the very first quest I was given, to go and find some runestones south of Bayan, the Necris inside takes like 20 hits to kill, yet can also down me in 3 blows. What am I doing wrong? I’ve done a handful of sidequests, am at level 9, and I’ve upgraded all of the weapons I have. It’s not just that it’s challenging, it’s completely out of balance. Any advice?

I’m bummed to hear that going with a melee fighter class doesn’t work. I always like playing a sword and shield type guy. I guess I’ll skip this one for now, especially since I still have a lot of Risen to play.

I wouldn’t play two of the same kind of RPGs in parallel anyway.

It’s the only genre that I have loosely planned out in my backlog so I don’t play two Bethesda, party-based, or Euro RPGs at the same time or back to back. Otherwise they’d wear me down.

I had trouble doing that first also, just put it aside and do the quests for the mayor. Killing some savannah critters and those other quests will level you up and get some better gear. Just watch out for the ants, god the #@&$& ants. I’m playing as a sword & Board type and doing ok so far.

Worth playing the first game before the second (ignore Beyond Divinity)?

I loved those ants. Sure, they could utterly ruin my day but when’s the last time I actually fled from something in terror in a RPG? It’s been so long I can’t recall.

I put maybe 20 hours into this game and then put it down. I did a caster and melee character. I definitely thought the melee character was much easier to play than the caster.

However I thought the game was of poor quality over all (some parts are nice, but the grand total is a very “meh” experience). Yet some people seem to really like this game. I have no idea why. Once again with this steam sale there was lots of excitement over TWII and I just do not understand it. Its like new Arcanum; People talk about the game like its some great RPG and is another example of a game I apparently do not “get”.

If after putting in many hours in this game, and you love it, can you tell me why?

I think you just have to choose your battles. That runestone quest is too tough to handle for a while I remember :) Try exploring the savannah and just working out which wildlife is handlable and as another poster just said, let the main plot guide you along a bit - its difficulty level is pretty well tuned from what I remember? And you get horsie of course.

I quite enjoyed melee in this. Archery took a bit of tweaking but I did have fun as a fighter… you do have enough points to eventually stick some in everything. The main melee feature is that every weapon type has its own special attack and you have one per hand, which is thought made it a bit more interesting.

Divine Divinity? People always say good things about it, but the Dragon Knight Saga was standalone as far as I could tell.

Very early on, life can be tough for a meelee-type char.
You have to pick your fights, ignore a lot of quests and large stretches of land and soldier on for a while. But then there’s a long stretch where you can get along pretty easily.
There’s some roadbumps here and there, but it’s very much doable and partially even easy (Gorms, for example, become a total walkover - even in hordes).

As you enter … maybe the last third of the game, you’ll find yourself being constantly on the lookout for better weapons to increase your damage output and/or better armor to increase your survivabiltiy.
This works for a while.
But only in the last quarter, things start getting really ugly.

For me, it wasn’t a problem dishing out enough damage to defeat enemies per se, but I found myself unable to handle the hordes of enemies the game often surrounded me with. When you get cornered, it’s usually over.
In the early phase of that part of the game, kiting enemies away from their groups or hit-and-run sometimes work. But the occasions where this is possible decrease as the game goes on.
The enemies continue to become more powerful, but you’ve maxed out your combat skills and finding a very awesome weapon is rare.
Even then - like I wrote - dishing out damage isn’t the true problem.
In the late phase of that game part - like I posted earlier - I found myself climbing pillars or hiding behind scenery, relying on the AI to be unable to get around things that obstructed it’s path.
Eventually, this becomes the only tactic that has any chance of success, because in the late game, even 1 one 1 combat is often deadly. Special attacks - mostly knockdown - are the reason.

Shortly before the game ends, the enemies are all huge titans which knock you down as soon as they hit you and can climb the steepest path and navigate the narrowest passages.
It’s still possible to progress - even as a warrior - but I eventually grew so tired of the process that I just cheated my way past - and a part of me loathes the game for forcing me to do so.

rezaf

To be honest I don’t the details well enough, but one aspect I really liked was summoning. A few points in the relevant skills and you can cook up 6 lizard archer/warriors to go and distract your enemies. Or those tripod dart spitting things :) Would that be any help in these tough battles?

I’ll bite. I didn’t love it, but I thought some sections and aspects were very good.

The early areas were places we don’t often go in SP RPGs, quests were interesting, and the game systems were quite rich, if uneven. Melee/Archery/Alchemy/Magic all had their own learning curves, as did the crafting system… Horse riding and sailing seemed lobbed in almost as an afterthought, but they were there :)
There is a sense that doing less, better would really help these guys. There’s all the MP stuff as well. I don’t know how popular that is, but if they’d binned it, and invested the effort into refining & fleshing out their mechanics and main plot, I think this would have been a major player. Say, better than Risen, if not a Witcher.

There is DLC to come. ‘Pirates of the Floating Fortress’. I’ll probably pick it up because I play all RPGs that aren’t Dragon Age II.

Edit: Hang-on. When I played this the PC version needed tweaking, to turn off all the blur, tone down the HDR and expand the FOV. Did that get patched in or is the Steam version still a big vaselined spotlight of a game?

Edit 2: I remember many saying this controlled better with a gamepad, so anyone struggling might want to look into that…

The Steam version (1.2) still needs all that tweaking to make it look better and run faster. I’m on a plane or I would attach my start.txt file, which tweaks it nicely. I got most of what I needed to do from this link.

Trollololololin’.

I’m not sure. I was a late-adopter, but eventually I ran out of combat skills to sink points into and leveled up some magic.
I’m not sure about the specifics, but I eventually could summon some spider or whatever. It was very tough and thus could soak up a lot of damage, but enemies usually ignored it and attacked me instead.
And while the summon had tons of HP eventually, it never actually HIT hard. It’s attacks were unnoticeable - I wasn’t sure if it was doing ANY damage in the first place. I could summon three or four of them at once, but I didn’t really bother at some point.

rezaf

Yes, they were always pretty ineffective compared to you… but they looked so great!