Two Worlds II: We know the first game was terrible

I guess now I know why the new “DLC” is not available on GOG. And thankfully I do have a copy of the game from there, so this “update” won’t be a problem for me. That said, I’m sad to see this. :(

Cards drive magic right? I wonder how common they are from in game sources. I think I found… one. I can’t remember how magic works though :) The dlc really just lobs you in, which is a bit of a challenge given its fairly idiosyncratic game systems.

If anyone else is playing - remember all the menu screens are on your F keys…

I think gamers are usually whiny kids without any money who complain every time a business wants to make a buck. I didn’t bat an eye at the Bethesda Creation Club or even the Paradox price tweaks to game the system (with apologies to foreigners with awful local prices).

But this just looks nasty. I wouldn’t want that menu in a single player RPG I’m playing. I’m repulsed simply from looking at that screenshot.

I agree with you completely, Tim.

It’s one thing if this was a new game that they just launched and it had microtransactions and no cheats. I’d think it was dumb for an open-world SP game, but whatever. Ubisoft has had them in Assassin’s Creed for a couple of games now.

It’s another thing entirely to disable the console and shoehorn microtransactions into an old game, and do so by stealthing it into an update without telling anyone.

Sorry Tim, but you can’t say you don’t care and act like you care in the very same phrase.

Bethesda Creation Club I’m fine with. I won’t buy anything from there because f*ck Bethesda (for other reasons, mostly), but I think it’s OK for them to try. Now, what Paradox did is not as bad as what we’re seeing in Two Worlds II, but it is bad. I suppose you’d have to be one of the affected foreigners to fully appreciate that, though. Take it from me (one of the affected foreigners): it was a dick move, plain and simple.

To be clear, I still don’t care. I was just trying to be nice! It’s probably a bad example when there are so many others available.

Fair enough. :)

It’s kind of a bummer to see them do it to a game where the original developer is long since gone, too. (I think that’s right–TopWare shut down a few years ago.) So in other words, it’s a dick move by a publisher.

Oh, I wasn’t even aware of that. If that’s the case, it’s even more skeezy.

I regret throwing that torch on TopWare’s house now and impaling the residents on a pitchfork. Mistakes were made.

Sorry, it’s TopWare that’s still going. Reality Pump is the developer who is no more.

Well, kinda. Lots of Reality Pump folks fled to CDPR, TopWare kind of unofficially closed Reality Pump, and then rechristened a shadow version of the company as Reality Pump so that the dev name lives on.

But the folks who worked on Two Worlds are definitely long gone.

Oh, boy.

[quote]
Please let us talk about this seriosly.

I would say here are two differnt topics 1.) Microtransactions and 2.) console commands and cheats

1.) we know from Xbox Live, that a lot of players like it to purchase items - I personally would not spend my money for this, but it seems like a lot of others do. Mainly in Multiplayer, but also in Single Player Mode. So the Pros are:

• who wants it can spend money, who not does not have to spend money. TW2 is not designed in the way that purchased items are required to finish the game.
  • in Multiplayer people can decide if they want to play with purchased items or not
  • the developer receives some extra money (same as from Trading cards) - and I think this is a pro! or has someone anything against that a developer makes some money?
    Cons:
  • no idea? give me some
    2.) Console Commands - Pros for having them:
  • the developers and testers do not need to handle seperate Executables
  • experienced users can optimize the game
  • players can cheat, if they want
    and Cons for having the console in:
  • users can damage their game and produce weired configurations.
  • if console commands can be used it is difficult to reproduce crashes
  • in Multiplayer console commands are a no go.
  • in Single player Microtransactions can be undermined with console commands
  • we do not know, if it is possible to manipulate Steam Microtransactions with console commands. In the documentation it is highly recommended to disable them.

… so … write your opinions, please.[/quote]

Blargh

This one is apparently in response to someone posting the Jim Sterling video on this:

[quote]
Very funny the guy this Jim - but he forgot to mention, that we also added achievments and trading cards to a game from 2011. - and all because the users wanted us to do this. However - his promotion now was definitly worth to remove the console. Let him get 5 Mio views and we can put the console back.[/quote]

Ok people , we need 5 million views.

I think they’re in a separate ‘Market’ screen on the New Game menu? They’re less intrusive than those Assassin’s Creed things where certain big glowy chests were not openable by non-paying plebs…

That’s a misconception. The Gold Chests in AC: Unity originally couldn’t be opened unless you tied your game to the mobile app and the Initiates website. You also couldn’t play a few janky mini-missions without the app. There was no microtransaction nonsense there. But, it still sucked because if you didn’t have the mobile app, or the Ubi servers were down (which seemed like all the time) the chests were just useless icons on the map. Thankfully, Ubisoft took the feedback to heart and dropped all the mobile app nonsense in Unity and patched the restrictions out pretty quickly.

The in-game purchases were for Helix Credits which could be used in lieu of the money Arno gathered to buy equipment and maps.

I’m so glad I have a backup of the console-enabled, microtransaction-free version. And that it’s even possible to have that.

Well having tried out the dlc, I’d say the engine, art design and rpg systems are all fine, and bode well enough for Three Worlds, but the writing and structure of the SP experience have too many issues for today’s full price market. If this was an effort to introduce new team members to the engine, they’ve done that, but they need to raise their game. There is supposed to be further dlc before Two Worlds III.

Pretty sure I do too. And people called me crazy for backing up all my GOG games to DVD. I was operating under the belief that that was the whole reason to buy from GOG. So I could have a proper back-up.
The drawback is that I need to search a stack of 500 disks to see if I even have it. I’ve been getting lax in the last year or so about backing everything up. Depends when I bought it. I need to get more diligent about this. I should alphabetize them too.