U.S. implodes soccer/football with FIFA arrests

Comparing the NCAA to FIFA for corruption is completely ludicrous.

Yeah, the NCAA is ridiculous in many ways, and depressingly exploitative, but whatever corruption exists is laughably miniscule compared to FIFA.

Doesn’t mean that the world wouldn’t be a fundamentally better place if we didn’t shut it down, though!

But maybe I just get bitter about losing employee parking space and having to navigate around street closures during college athletics where I work. . .

Oh, I’m all for burning the NCAA to the ground and salting the earth afterward. We’re kinda arguing about whether we should go after Noriega or Hitler, though.

Noriega? Pfft. More like, oh, Batista or Somoza maybe!

In somewhat related news: Ex-Fifa vice president Jack Warner swallows Onion spoof

In a video on his Facebook page, Warner appears to hold up a printout of an Onion article headlined “FIFA Frantically Announces 2015 Summer World Cup In United States” and, in a rambling address to camera says: “Then I look to see that Fifa has frantically announced, 2015, this year […] the World Cup, beginning May 27. If Fifa is so bad, why is it that the USA wants to keep the Fifa World Cup?”

Warner – a Trinidad and Tobago politician who is facing extradition to the US after his arrest on corruption charges last week – goes on to talk about a “summer World Cup 2015”, adding: that this is “from the very same organisation that they are accusing of being corrupt, that has to be double standards on my part”.

I’m not. I’d rather nuke all the money sports, at least until the Pro Leagues have a true minor league system for High Schoolers who shouldn’t be in college.

I like the competition that comes from not having a paycheck/payday at stake more. I like the WCWS, College Baseball and Volleyball, etc. though nowhere near as much as College Basketball and Football.

I’d be completely happy with Basketball (and Football) not allowing true freshmen to play. I’d even be fine with football only allowing Juniors and Seniors (players who are already draft-eligible) to play.

Well, if you like the competition that comes from not having a paycheck at stake, you have to look elsewhere than the NCAA I think; maybe the players don’t get paid (which is an issue for discussion, certainly) but the schools have a lot of money on the line with many of those games, particularly the games that aren’t fixed as part of the informal quid pro quo revenue sharing deals (like beating a smaller school half to death so they can get a few million in TV revenue).

The NCAA is a big money sport already.

BLATTER RESIGNING!!!

Hammer dropped with his right hand man likely under indictment.

This is wild. And right after his f you comments to usa over weekend

Yep!

Sepp Blatter: “We need a limitation on mandates and terms of office. I have fought for these changes but my efforts have been counteracted.”

Did not expect that!

Pretty amazing rollercoaster since the arrests.

YOU’RE WELCOME, WORLD.

So America is back to our post-WW II image in Europe now, right?

Depends who they find to replace him. Of course the best bet from a PR perspective would be to find a respected person from outside the sport who could be reasonably counted on not to be participating in the corrupt system. But what are the odds of that?

I think Sepp is currently checking to see how many suitcases of euros it costs to get a really quick flight to Moscow or Caracas.

David Stern for FIFA President!

Mike Slive. There we go.

Gary Bettman! Please, we’ll pay you to take him.

John Oliver’s show this Sunday is going to be nuts.