U.S. Military find Iraqi Armored Book Mobile

Because, as we all know, there’s no way this could be a mobile bio and chemical weapons factory.

Well, unless you feel like supplying us with your username/password, might I suggest you find a more publically available version?

Oops, sorry. Lemme find a more public source. For now:

U.S. Finds Iraqi Mobile Germ Warfare Lab -Pentagon

By Charles Aldinger and Will Dunham

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. forces in Iraq have found a trailer built by the toppled government of President Saddam Hussein as a mobile biological weapons laboratory, the United States said on Wednesday.

Undersecretary of Defense for Intelligence Stephen Cambone stopped short of calling the big truck a ‘smoking gun’ proving U.S. charges that Iraq produced weapons of mass destruction, telling reporters that sophisticated production equipment had been found inside the vehicle but no germ agents.

It was the first time U.S. officials have said they have found firm evidence of such an Iraqi weapons program, which was cited before the war as a justification for the invasion to oust Saddam.

The trailer was found on April 19 in northern Iraq and will soon be taken apart and minutely examined in Baghdad, Cambone told a Pentagon briefing.

‘While some of the equipment on the trailer could have been for purposes other than biological weapons agent production, U.S. and U.K. tactical experts have concluded that the unit does not appear to perform any function beyond … the production of biological agents,’ he said.

Cambone said the ‘mobile production facility,’ painted military green, was similar to 18 that the United States believes the former Iraqi government built.

He said the vehicle was taken over by U.S. forces at a Kurdish checkpoint near the town of Tall Kayf. It was found on a heavy-equipment transporter typically used for carrying tanks, he said.

THREE DEADLY AGENTS

Navy Vice Adm. Lowell Jacoby, director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, told reporters Iraqi sources have said three types of biological weapons were produced in such mobile laboratories: anthrax, botulism and staphylococcus.

But Cambone said the trailer ‘has had a very caustic substance washed through it,’ perhaps ammonia, and that no agents or components were found in initial inspections.

Aboard the trailer was equipment that can be used to make biological weapons – living microorganisms or biological toxins used deliberately to spread disease – including a fermenter that could help produce germ warfare agents, he said.

Other equipment included gas cylinders to supply clear air for agent production and a system to capture and compress exhaust gases to evade detection of weapons production.

‘As time goes by and the more we learn, I’m sure we’re going to discover that the WMD programs are as extensive and as varied as the secretary of state (Colin Powell) reported in his February address (to the United Nations),’ Cambone said.

‘We are poring through documents, we are talking to people, and more of this is going to come to the surface as time goes by. It is a tough, laborious process.’

Cambone said the truck was very similar to those described by an Iraqi defector who has helped U.S. officials understand the Iraqi weapons program.

That information was used by Powell when he described the alleged mobile weapons labs to the U.N. Security Council in an unsuccessful February attempt to win approval from the world body for the subsequent U.S.-led invasion.

U.S. officials have accused the Iraqis of using mobile laboratories to produce germ warfare agents amid ongoing international inspections to avoid detection and to get weapons near to where they would be used. Iraq agreed after the 1991 Gulf War to give up any chemical, biological or nuclear weapons programs.

Cambone said that U.S. forces and experts had so far gone to about 110 sites in Iraq suspected of being associated with weapons of mass destruction and still had hundreds more to inspect.

Reuters

Every single we found the chemical weapons story has soon been followed by a [size=1]err no we didn’t[/size] story.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to wait a few days so we can see if this one actually pans out.

Of course, if it does pan out, that means we’ve found one undocumented location so far, in the entire country. Remember all those unsourced statements from administration officials about how they had a whole lot? Enough to be a threat?

We’ll see.

cough

And they found this thing on April 19th, doesn’t that maybe hint that they made damn sure before reporting it?

I can see it now: ‘Well they only found one’…‘Well they only found two’…‘Well they only found 12’…‘Well they only found 500’…

My God, they have eyewitnesses, they have defecting scientists, they have sattelite photos, they found the damn truck. WHAT ELSE DO YOU NEED? You yelled because someone used a nuke as an example, but clearly nothing short of finding a nuke with a map of the US with big red letters saying ‘Hi, the is Saddam, I plan on using a nuke on America TTFN ^-^’ will get you EVER to believe any evidence. And even then you’d say ‘Well there’s a chance it was a joke.’
You were an O.J. juror weren’t you?

When we find enough to reasonable call a significant threat, I’ll say Bush wasn’t exaggerating the threat. Until then, the evidence points to “not much.”

I seem to remember generals talking about the previous “finds”, too, so give it about a week.

What the hell is “siginificant threat” level when the Plague could wipe people out in no time because it spreads so easily between infected humans?

You’re just being deliberately obtuse now, Jason.

–Dave

Yikes, the plague. I didn’t catch that in the article though I didn’t click the Reuters link.

-DavidCPA

Dave Long, are you saying that Iraq threatened the US with the Plague? This is news to me. How were they going to keep their own forces from contracting the Plague while all the people in the US died? How were they going to deploy the Plague? Was the plan to use ICBM missles to splatter infected cow carcasses into our cities? That would probably work, huh?

Look…when people with wreckless disregard for human life start screwing around with weapons that are designed to kill people on a mass scale through infection, I don’t think it’s something to joke about. I’ve stayed out of the threads here up til now, and now I wish I had stayed out again. I hate Bush with a passion and I hate many of those around him even more. But what I hate even more than that is seeing what Hussein did to his own people for so long and now witnessing evidence that he was working on chemical/biological weapons which could have killed millions everywhere in the world if he so chose…I don’t think what we did was wrong.

You don’t have to open your mouth and say “I am threatening you!” to be a threat, though that’s what I’m sure you believe.

Whatever…last post from me on this subject, ever. I don’t want to get involved with the discussion and was stupid to even insert anything. The logic behind ignoring news like this or trying to spin it in some way to make it seem less scary is just ridiculous to me.

–Dave

I just do not see anything in that story that indicates Iraq posed a credible threat to the US. Nevertheless, I do not blame you for being unable to control your imagination (Plague). You are simply a product of a disinformation campaign waged by the current administration.

In the future, I encourage you not to ignore these type news reports; instead, investigate them fully. You may be surprised what you find. The logic behind spinning news to make it seem more frightening is painfully evident.

You can have the last word if you care to post one more time, David Long.

You’re just being deliberately obtuse now, Jason.

They became deliberately obtuse sometime back in February.

"I just do not see anything in that story that indicates Iraq posed a credible threat to the US. "

As a supplier not a direct attacker.

Is there some evidence of Iraq selling WMD to terrorist organizations that I have missed?

Dave Long, are you saying that Iraq threatened the US with the Plague? This is news to me. How were they going to keep their own forces from contracting the Plague while all the people in the US died? How were they going to deploy the Plague? Was the plan to use ICBM missles to splatter infected cow carcasses into our cities? That would probably work, huh?[/quote]

Tim, why cows? Does it have to be cows? How can they get so many cows? Wouldn’t some cows run away? Where would they keep so many cows? Can cows transmit these diseases to humans?
Blahblahblahblahblah.

You grab onto ONE tiny piece of the puzzle and drive it into the ground. Out of a list of 5,000 items you’d grab on to one and straggle it as if that somehow invalidated every other argument in the world.

I don’t know if it’s some stupid ‘rebel against DA MAN’ thing, or if you’re hopelessly optomistic. Either way you and the other people in here are being asses.

Oh please, no expert on biological weapons has ever said anything this exaggerated.

All I’m saying is that:

1. It’s probably best to be leery of this, as the last 5 or 6 reports of found stuff all turned out to be false.
  2. Where’d the weapons go? (“There were no chemical or biological weapons with the containerized labs, which measure 20 feet square.”)

Is there some evidence of Iraq selling WMD to terrorist organizations that I have missed?[/quote]

In juxtaposition with North Korea, which has apparently sold some WMDs and ballistic missile technology to anyone willing to pay the $.50.

While I don’t often say this, I agree with Jason that a little caution about the reports of WMDs being found in Iraq might be called for. Fool me once, shame on you. Report WMDs a half dozen times and recant it each time, shame on me (if I’m stupid enough to believe it before it’s been independently verified).

asjunk

Is there some evidence of Iraq selling WMD to terrorist organizations that I have missed?[/quote]

In juxtaposition with North Korea, which has apparently sold some WMDs and ballistic missile technology to anyone willing to pay the $.50.[/quote]

So much for war in Iraq disabusing the rest of the world of this type behavior.