U.S. Spies Want to Find Terrorists in World of Warcraft

Yeah the article title exaggerates, but the news seems real enough. From an article in Wired.

Be careful who you frag. Having eliminated all terrorism in the real world, the U.S. intelligence community is working to develop software that will detect violent extremists infiltrating World of Warcraft and other massive multiplayer games, according to a data-mining report from the Director of National Intelligence.

The Reynard project will begin by profiling online gaming behavior, then potentially move on to its ultimate goal of “automatically detecting suspicious behavior and actions in the virtual world.”

Some of the comments are pretty funny.

Damn, they’re on to me. I guess my level 60 bazooka was a bad idea.

All the those mages suiciding arcane-explosions in AV are in for a no-knock surprise in the middle of the night.

It sounds more like they’re trying to develop a psychology of our generation in general and gamers in particular. Can you blame em?

Goonfleet is suicide ganking miners in EVE Online. With cries of Jihad and Allahu Akhbar of course.

We do the first to raise Caldari fuel prices (our enemies use that fuel), and the second because it annoys the victims so much.

Just clarifying it for the Secret Service who undoubtably reads this thread.

So…I can report ninja looters and send them to Guantanamo? Awesome!