Ubisoft likes this EA Access idea

You haven’t been paying attention if you think that more subscription services constitute incentive. And meanwhile, EA (Plants vs Zombies), Ubisoft (Rayman Origins, and probably Activision (can’t recall off the top of my head) have all been contributing games to PS+. Them leaving to do their own thing directly makes the service I -am- subscribed to less valuable.

Nothing’s free. The innovations Origin provided came at some (very minor) cost to consumers.

There is no aspect of the (very minor) positive moves that Origin has eventually bothered to make that has any intrinsic connection to making their games exclusive to that store.

If EA releases all their 1 year old sports titles for $30/year - it makes almost no sense to buy new versions unless you’re wealthy. Get all your friends to play the 1 year old version and you get used to (very quickly) not having the latest roster update. $420/year vs. $30/year for sports? Over 2 years that would be $840 vs. $60? Crazy difference. That’s buying a next-gen console… twice!

What you say makes sense. And I don’t think is the case. A Call of Duty player want Call of Duty, not Ghost Recon Online. Or at best, he is going to get GRO, and regret and hate that decision every minute.

Anyway, it could be that you are right, and I am wrong.

Out of curiosity, what do you mean “no free market here”? I’m puzzled most by that. Is the suggestion we are in some sort of communist regime or…?

I do not battle definitions. “Something else” works for me. Anything that is not free, free for the customer to choose the provider with the best service / price.

In many areas of the world, theres only one ISP that provide internet. I don’t think thats free market, either… but I suppose even on these areas you can get internet with RTB+Satellite, with maybe 1000 miliseconds lag. So people “choose” concast, or whatever absolutelly terrible and awnful ISP serve in their area.

And viola.

I wonder if most of their games being GaaS is going to help or hurt this model. I’m not particularly interested in it since I like to play Ubi games for a bit, drop them, and come back later. Still signed up for the free month trial. I’ll plow through Division 2 if there isn’t a good sale before then.

Nice try Ubi, but I already own all of your games…suckers.

Cao Cao Laugh

Exactly why I’ve never bought into EA’s subscription service. I buy everything that interests me.

20 a month here in Canada, yikes.

This one doesn’t seem worth it to me with Ubi’s aggressive discounts and GaaS / long games worth buying instead of renting.

I’m reeling with all these choices. I want the old days, when you sent a servant to the shop with a bag of silver pennies.

Exactly, Ubi games are 50% off sometimes as soon as a month after release.

Perhaps things that make the subscription less valuable will stop happening…

So I logged into my Uplay thingy to DL Steep to get the new free map and noticed more details of their Uplay + subscription. The Ubi library is so strong and the titles have such long tails of support after the initial release (including making the games much better: For Honor and Division for instance) that I’m far more likely to just outright buy the things than do a sub like I would for a bunch of the stuff on the Xbox Pass or the EA pass. I have no real problem with the whole sub thing but Ubi’s stuff is so consistently good that a sub doesn’t seem like the way to go.

Big kudos to Telefrog for having this thread ready 5 years ago.

I agree with the sentiments above. The Ubisoft library is really really strong. There’s really fantastic games in there. But I already own 95% of them. And the Epic Store sale right finally made me bite on $5 for Far Cry Primal, which I bought yesterday.

The real reason, then, to get Uplay+ will be to play their new games. To pay $15 a month for a month when a new game launches, like Watch Dogs London or the new Ghost Recon Breakpoint. But yeah, Ubisoft games are so well supported and go on sale quickly and often, so it might just be better to buy those games instead of subscribing.

Nevertheless, it would be interesting if they bring the service to the consoles too. That way there’s no need to double dip. I have a former co-worker who plays Rainbow 6 on PC, but most of his friends all play it on Xbox. But he doesn’t want to buy the game again to play on Xbox. So it could be a good way to fill out the platforms. You might own the game on one platform, and get the subscription so you can play with friends on a different platform.

The sale pricing might not persist in a world where they want people to subscribe.

Oops, I already said that. But still.

Why not both.gif ?

The concern is that there wouldn’t be both. If a publisher wants you to subscribe to their Netflix style game service, the incentive is there for them to keep the individual game prices as high as possible for as long as they can to make the sub the better deal.

I haven’t seen that happening yet, but I guess we’re also pretty early in this business shift.

This is supposed to be the list of available titles. RPS say a lot of DLC / gold edition stuff is included, but I couldn’t see that here. I was expecting that to balance the higher price.

https://store.ubi.com/uk/uplayplus/games

Could have swore Ubisoft said at time of announcement that all games would include DLC.

That’s what everyone’s reporting but when I look at say AC Odyssey on that list, it does just say Standard Edition. Maybe it’s a work in progress.

Just checked and it looks like they have the Ultimate versions of ACO and Div2 on the top row. And scrolling down it looks like the most comprehensive versions of the games are all in here.

Edit: At the very bottom is this disclaimer though…

Where premium or special editions of the game are indicated (for example: Ultimate/Gold/Deluxe Editions), please note editions included in Uplay+ may not include all premium content.