Ubisoft Trouble

I wanted to start a thread call “Ubisoft is such PITA but why can’t I stop playing their games?” but this will do.

Anyway I’ve been playing the hell out of Steep. Previously I was playing the hell out of Ghost Recon Wildlands (who would have thought wandering Bolivian countryside while neo-imperalistically shooting drug cartel gunmen can be fun?). And then I realise I’ve been playing the hell out of The Crew 1 before that. I’m in no hurry to play Far Cry 5, though I plan to play it eventually (the first Far Cry I want to play since 1 & 2).

So what exactly did Ubisoft get right in the last few years? I played AssCreed 4 and I thought I’m sick of their formula, but then I get to their other stuff and there is a different approach and fell for their games all over again. There is still grind but the wandering of the beautiful and/or interesting game world makes it all ok.

And then there is the technical side of things. Their games on PC run like a lame donkey. Most of them are powered by the same engine so there is basically little variations in frame rate between games. Wildlands on Ultra can’t crack average 60 fps even on a monster rig. Steep in particular is a PITA because the particle effect effectively tanked framerate (on both ATI and nvidia cards), and there is NO fix, and no way to disable particle effect.

Oh Ubisoft, you are so easy to hate but I can’t stop loving your games.