Ubisoft's Steep - Open world extreme snow sports

Please tell me that’s a verb snowboarders actually use. Onomatopoeias rule.

-Tom

Season pass details

http://blog.ubi.com/steep-season-pass-detailed/

[quote]
STEEP SEASON PASS INCLUDES:

• Snowman Costume
• 10,000 STEEP Credits
• Helicopter Tickets

WINTER FEST PACK

• Winter Sled
• New Challenges
• New Costumes

EXTREME PACK

• Three New Sports – Rocket Wings, Base Jumping, and Speed Gliding
• New Challenges

ADRENALINE PACK

• Moonlight Pack – Three Night Challenges, Three Costumes, Two Wingsuits, and Equipment
• Two Boards
• Two New Outfits
• New Wingsuit[/quote]

33% off on the Uplay store if anyone cares. I went and grabbed it, why not.

I picked this up and I’m really enjoying it. So are my kids and my non-gamer wife. It’s very relaxing, but also attractive and has races/challenges if you want to do them. I like it a lot and suspect I’ll come back to it in small doses for a long time. My 3-yr old likes to be in “walking mode” and just walk around exploring the mountains. She’s concerned the protagonist is tired and needs to walk to rest. :)

Interesting that its on sale so early.

Most of Ubi’s games are on sale atm, Watch Dogs 2, even.

Welp. It was pretty fun the one time I was able to play it. Endless crashes now.

Can’t get Ubisoft to speak to me, shocking.

Alaska teaser:

https://youtu.be/qkcMrDumb5U

Not much activity in this thread, or much of anywhere else that I can see for this game. I wonder how well it sold, and will it slowly, quietly ramp up like The Crew?

Of all the games Tom streamed over the last year, this is one of my favorites. If I wasn’t swamped in games already, I would have gotten it after watching Tom play it. My goto “relax” game right now is Forza Horizon 3, and I don’t see a point in having two relax games going at the same time.

So wait, they’re adding a whole new location in addition to Mt. Blanc? That seems huge.

I’ve been playing it on PS4. Sometimes I’ll roll through the challenges and sometimes I just wander around doing solo runs outside the structure of the game. I have about half of the drop zones spotted.

@tomchick Sarah Palin can finally go home:

Oh hey, I forgot I bought this game. Been too busy with TV and movies in the last month or so. I should actually spend more than an hour with it at some point.

I downloaded the game on PS4 for the free weekend. It requires an Ubisoft account (“always online”) to play. I opted against that and deleted it.

I’m having a blast with this so far.

The exploration aspect of it is quite tough. It looks easy, I’ll just go above this peak here, and then I’ll be able to use the binoculars to see this drop zone. Nope, too far. Ok, I’ll slide down this mountain and stop somewhere here to see the drop zone. Nope, too far still. You have to get pretty close to places, and it’s not simple. I like it.

And I thought Tom was making the wing suit look particularly tough, but it turns out, he’s a master at it. Oh my god, wingsuit flying is so hard, you guys. You really have to use physics to build speed and momentum and it’s all based on really small adjustments and such. I can’t get anywhere in the harder wingsuit challenges, the ones that require you to go through statues and buildings and ruins and little rings. It’s crazy hard.

Snowboarding is much more challenging than in SSX. It’s again, mostly physics based, if feels like, less arcadey. You sort of get the feel for what you should be doing based on physics though, so it doesn’t feel unfair. It is tough to do tricks.

Nice. I couldn’t look past the poor form of the skier mo-cap they used. I thought they really did a nice job with the open world skiing concept though.

For some reason, both the Steep threads were impossible to find in Qt3’s search function. But I used google and was able to track them both down.

good job!

The discourse search algorithm weights recent activity and thread size far above relevance, so you probably got a bunch of large, recent threads mentioning “steep discounts” or the like, right? I complained about this a while back.

So, as I mentioned in the other thread, I really like the Winter Olympics beta. But I question their decision to make it an expansion pack.

It’s a brilliant idea to leverage this excellent engine to make an honest-to-god actual winter olympics game featuring snowboarding and skiing events. It’s even officially licensed! So what a waste that it’s an expansion pack and not a stand-alone expansion.

but…it IS a stand alone game?