Ubisoft's The Crew - Racing, social, and microstranasctions all up in here

30fps lock on a racing game? Dang. I really like the idea of this game, but everything in this thread is red flags.

I ran into a lot of things that make this a no buy for me. The first and most glaring was unskippable cutscenes for every retry. That was a huge nope and won’t even play it for free. On a bad run you literally spend more time sitting there watching than racing

Eww, gross. Is that to cover for reloading the worldstate? If not, I can’t imagine they’ll stay unskippable in the final product.

As for the concern about being locked to 30fps, is this not the case with other driving games on consoles? What sort of framerate does a NFS or Midnight Club game run at?

-Tom

On consoles, I’m hard-pressed to think of third-party racing games that aren’t 30fps. Usually, only the in-house or exclusive games like Forza or GT get 60fps.

The devs mentioned to another forumite that on pc at least it will not be locked at 30 at launch. As mentioned Forza is 60 fps and in a racer it really does matter between 30 and 60.

Can you give me some examples to give me a sense of how much it matters? I’ve played the latest Forza and I didn’t get the feeling that it ran substantially better than, say, Midnight Club LA, Shift 2, NFS Most Wanted, or the Dirt series. What are some driving games that you felt suffered for not running at 60fps?

-Tom

It’s hard to explain, you either ‘feel’ it or you don’t. It’s about smoothness as well as consistency. In the case of Forza part of the issue is that it’s not just framerate, but the under-the-hood physics calculations are also maintained at a steady rate so you don’t get odd handling issues that vary with framerate.

The burn-out games will show variation in fps which you can see definitely affects it.

I could’ve sworn the Forzas weren’t 60fps either, or at least not all of them. I remember people being angry about it, and me not noticing.

Forza Horizon isn’t, the others are

So the best Forza has the worst technical specs. What have we learned from this? :)

-Tom

Forza Horizon is only the best if you’re a casual ;)

So this is pretty cool. Intimidatingly huge map. I found it very easy to get into a little roaming party of racers. Lots of mini events scattered around. It’s a full blown RPG, with gear, a bazillion levels, unlocks, etc. Surprisingly tragic / gritty story for a game about cruising around with your friends. Looks great.

Any player housing? Silly question I know, but I loved collecting houses in Test Drive Unlimited 2.

Not that I could see.

The world building in this game is astounding.

I just drove up to the upper peninsula of MI, and the Mackinac Bridge was fully modeled. I then was driving west towards Houghton, and noticed a small dirt road going off to the north. I followed that up, and found a pretty damn accurately modeled Fort Michilimackinac at the end of the road! And it wasn’t even tagged as a landmark. Someone spent a decent amount of time modeling that thing and sticking it at the end of a dirt road in the middle of nowhere.

I was able to skip pre event cutscenes with B, but that wasn’t for story scenes, just generic events.

Also note, other beta players, that there are railways and airports you can use to fast-travel to a part of the country you haven’t been to yet. Nice way to check out a specific region you are interested in.

The beta felt pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised. Other than the in-your-face campaign story stuff (sheesh, they really wanted to ape Need for Speed) the rest of the game felt a lot like Test Drive Unlimited 2 crossed with Burnout Paradise.

My only concern was the server stuff. I hade a few times when I just couldn’t play due to the server issues, which I assume will be the same way at launch. I just don’t trust Ubisoft on that front. They suck at server load management.

I only played for an hour but what I saw looked like a lot of fun. I can see picking this up for the PS4, maybe when it’s on sale. I wish the game were more single-player focused… put some weapons on the cars, add a funky 70’s soundtrack, and this could have been an awesome Interstate '76 remake. Hopefully Mad Max will scratch that particular itch.

PC Specs announced: http://blog.ubi.com/crew-pc-specs/

MINIMUM
Supported OS
Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8/8.1 (64bit)
Processor
Intel Core2 Quad Q9300 @ 2.5 GHz or AMD Athlon II X4 620 @ 2.6 GHz (or better)

RAM
4GB

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX260 or AMD Radeon HD4870 (512MB VRAM with Shader Model 4.0 or higher)

RECOMMENDED
Supported OS
Windows 8/8.1 (64bit)
Processor
Intel Core i5-750 @ 2.66 GHz or AMD Phenom II X4 940 @ 3.0 GHz (or better)

RAM
8GB

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX580 or AMD Radeon 6870 (1024MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or higher)

OPTIMAL
Supported OS
Windows 8/8.1 (64bit)
Processor
Intel Core i7-2600K @ 3.4 GHz or AMD FX-8150 @ 3.6 GHz (or better)

RAM
8GB

Video Card
NVIDIA GeForce GTX670 or AMD Radeon 7870 (2048MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or higher

Very reasonable.

Well, this sucks. I had always planned to go back to the Crew, if only to prove Tom wrong about the rubberbanding again.