UFC - General Thread

I backed that up a couple of times last night. I was afraid I’d wake the kids.

I’m bad at predictions, but I think Leasnar’s going to play it conservative again, striking as long as Coture wants to, and smothering him when it goes to the ground. Everybody says he has amazing cardio for a guy as big as he is (I hear he’s going to have to cut 10 pounds to get to 265). And he has to have spent the last year or so on submission defense after the Mir embarassment.

Everybody else is a toss-up for me, I lack enough years of experience to know/rate all the fighters.

But I sure am looking forward to the GSP-Penn fight at the end of January.

I’m 44 as of tomorrow so I’m very much inclined to cheer for the older, experienced fighter, but I agree that Lesnar is just too much muscle and mass to say anything but the odds are in his favor.

42 here, and I was definitely rooting for Kurt Warner last Sunday.

I watch that Lesnar-Mir fight and am constantly amazed at how Lesnar was moving Frank Mir (6’3, 255lbs of muscle) around like a ragdoll. Absolutely amazing power. Frank Mir would grind me into chili in about 5 minutes of fighting. Lesnar is just a freak.

Fuck the UFC, business triples in restaurants on fight nights and I end up having to do triple the work for the same money, and also stay and close.

I’m 40 and I’m not routing for Randy. First, while he’s good, he’s not great, like he thinks he is. It bothered me that he complained about the contract HE SIGNED AND AGREED to when he returned to the UFC after having lost his two previous fights in pretty bad fashion. Sure, he’s fought many top fighters, but he’s lost quite a bit too. To say he’s even close to Fedor’s legacy is a joke.

Bottom line, I don’t like people who go back on their word or don’t see out their obligations (his contract). I’m routing for Lesnar, but see the fight a toss up, ending in pretty much any possibility except a Lesnar submission. Randy can strike, Brock’s chin hasn’t been tested, Both have great endurance, both can GNP/LNP like no other, and Randy has submitted a couple of times and Brock can’t have great submission defense this early in his career.

Sherdog’s take, pretty funny.

The camping trip I was set to go on is cancelled, so I get to see this! Anyone in DC want to see it in a bar? I think Champs in Pentagon City and Hooter’s in DC are the two places that have it.

So i gotta throw my support for Couture, seeing as how we went to the same high school–different years though. (Go LHS) I hear they put up a plaque for him back there.

OMG! Do you know the famous Jim Cozad???

Who, you say?
JIM COZAD!!!

More JZ info

For the non-readers:

Whaaaat? I can’t believe that is so one-sided. And to compare Lesnar to Kimbo is ridiculous. I definitely see him beating Couture although I’m rooting for the old, wisened fighter to win. I have to agree that hearing Couture talk about how he thinks he can beat Fedor during interviews is pure silliness though.

The scariest thing about Lesnar - and this has been mentioned on the board before, I believe - is how goddamned fast he is. For a guy that huge to have the speed he does is terrifying. It’s a shame he’s such a dick (mockingly laughing at Herring in between rounds was a real asshole move) otherwise he’d be great for the sport - especially since Rampage just got arrested for being crazy.

I hate that stupid tattoo he has on his chest though. HATE.

Lesnar is quick for a tank. And yes, mocking Herring, who deserved it for starting the prickly comments, wasn’t cool. But you have to give Brock credit, he does a great job selling himself and becoming popular. Those WWF years taught him how to stir things up and get into the press.

I don’t know why everyone hates his chest tattoo though. I think it’s kind of cool. Much better than a lot of goofy tattoos on other MMA fighters.

It’s about as phallic as a tattoo gets without inking a giant cock into your chest. Actually that wouldn’t look much different…man, the blade has veins.

Anyways, I’m taking Couture. Lesnar’s wrestling skillset combined with his size means it won’t be as clean as Randy’s average ass-whupping, but I’m calling Randy by unanimous dec.

Should be interesting tonight. My head says Lesnar, but my gut says Couture. I think it’s a pretty even toss=up but I’m going with the Natural by way of pure grit and strength of will, especially if the fight goes into the late rounds.

Florian/Stevenson has the potential to be a good fight as well. I think it depends on whether or not Stevenson can press the action. Kenny showed in his last fight against Heurta that he can come in with a patient gameplan and stick to it, regardless of pressure from the crowd. Kenny has the range and better striking to pick Stevenson apart. The only places I see Stevenson winning this fight are in the clinch/dirty boxing range or methodical, boring GnP from Kenny’s guard. I doubt Stevenson can submit Florian. (Side note: it was funny during the press conference, BJ Penn got on the mike and asked Kenny if the rumors were true that Kenny had been cast to play Randy’s son in the next Scorpion King movie. Everyone busted out. It’s up at UFC.com)

Gonzoga/who? Gonzoga by boring decision.

Quarry/Maia has potential as well. Quarry is a pretty vicious striker and Maia is a whiz on the ground. A classic MMA striker v. grappler match up. I don’t think Maia’s chin has been tested, but as the fight wears on I think Maia will eventually get Quarry to the ground and tap him.

I still predict Lesner in a spectacular knockout than ends Randy’s career.

• Demian Maia gets an easy submission against Nate Quarry
  • Gonzaga destroys Josh Hendricks - knockout
  • Kenny Florian vs Joe Stevenson - Florian improves every match though, and I’d like to see him win - without the Huerta fight I wouldn’t take him, but I will now.

4/4, pretty accurate on the manner, other than Lesner’s not-spectacular knockout - weird shot, actually, which seemed to do more damage than it should have.

Lesnars performance, knockout aside, was bad. Couture pretty much had his way with him in the clinch despite the massive size advantage and even when Lesnar got on top of Couture on the ground he still couldn’t do much. Couture also stuffed most takedown attempts. He landed a knockout punch on target but technically his boxing wasn’t much to look at. He’s got speed and power but he’s not a very good champion.

Agree. Couture was certainly winning the 2nd round handily until being knocked out,and he seemed to have a good gameplan. Lesner looked clumsy and a bit lost. But he’s Shrek, so he still was dangerous.

UFC heavyweight division has been perpetually a joke, however. There’s just zero depth,and nobody that impressive. There’s a shortage of good heavyweights in the sport entirely - hard to find guys to give Fedor a challenge. UFC really needs that guy though.

So who is going to go up against Lesnar next? I’m a little baffled and irritated that he’s the champ at this point given he’s had one sloppy win against a good opponent and the rest were wins over nobodies, and a loss to Mir.

Will it be Nog vs. Lesnar next?

Nog and Mir are tied up as Ultimate Fighter coaches, so thanks to the crappy reality show we’ll have to wait until the end of the year for them to settle which one is gonna take on Lesnar for the belt.

“I just work with the body and mind God gave me.” (points at sky) “God Bless You”.

Errr, don’t thank God so much for that mind yet, Brock.

Brock looked better than I thought he would. The only concern I had for him during that fight was his cardio. at the rate it was looking, Randy would have eventually worn him out (mid 3rd).

But wow, I thought Brock looked solid! Great hand speed, good knees, good clinch, good wrestling, and very accurate hands. He still completely spaz’d out when he rocked Randy, as he did when he had Mir beat. He needs to learned how to throw fight finishing punches when his opponent his loopy, and also needs to learn how to control during these punches.