Ultimate General: Civil War catch-all

I liked Medieval 2 as my favorite.

I’m going to get murdered for saying this, I liked Empire next. I know that it is the most maligned of the series, but I loved watching the lines of troops unload on one another.

I was endlessly amused by the fort battles. I would never repair my forts and the enemy would walk with singular focus to claim the fort - and I would just like cannon and infantry along the path in the forth. Enemy would just get mowed down.

No, this definitely is just a me issue. Some people think Shogun 2 was the peak of the series, some Warhammer, some Medieval. I just load up every version and within 20 minutes feel like I am playing the same game I played 20 years ago. I played the heck out of Rome and Medieval and perhaps just got burnt out on the series.

As Medieval 2 and Napoleon are my personal favorites, you get a big fist bump from me.

I never gave this the timeit deserved, but perhaps I shouid re-install

You should definitely give it another go.

Another interesting aspect of the game is the light system requirements. I’m pretty sure you could run this on a potato.

90% off today

That’s the previous game; Civil War is still 75% off, which is a great deal, for the next few hours.

Yes - it is easily worth $8 for any strategy fan. I had so much fun playing through both the Union and Confederate campaigns

Thanks for the heads up! Was thinking of getting this one.

Since I’ve been doing a lot of horse and musket wargaming this past year, I decided to revisit this game too. I’ve learned a lot more about warfare from this period, and I found some weird things in this game:

• Charge morale seems kind of weird. I’ve seen units of 300 soldiers hold their ground against units of 1000+ soldiers when charged. Also, hasn’t it been pretty much confirmed that few soldiers were actually killed by bayonets compared to rifles?
  • Didn’t infantry battalians fight in three-man-deep lines during the Civil War? Why are they fighting in five-man-deep lines?
  • Saber cavalry seem to be near useless. They provide little to no shock value, don’t seem to be effective at flanking, and have very delicate morale. I understand that this isn’t Napleonic-era heavy cavalry, but they seem quite a bit underwhelming.
  • No friendly fire (from what i can tell). This exists in Total War games, why not this?
  • Most artillery seems much more effective if used aggressively on the front lines, Napoleon-style. It seems almost useless as a long range weapon. Also, it seems there are no real line-of-sight rules for artillery (they can shoot through anything).

That all being said, it amazes me how much of a slog Civil War battles were. I read on another website that this was due to the lack of effective shock tactics to break battle lines, and I can see now how that could be true. It also makes me really want to take up more Civil War wargaming (i mostly do Napoleonic now).

UG: Civil War is really beer and pretzels gaming. Nothing wrong with that, but don’t expect a detailed simulation.

John Tiller Software offers a whole slew of Civil War titles with tons of scenarios. Matrix sells their Scourge of War series with plenty of battles as well, although in some of the longer battles like Gettysburg I don’t believe you can fight the whole battle in one scenario. Either of those series are more realistic IMHO.

Installed this over the weekend hoping to get some time with it soon. Mostly because I came across an older article I found interesting.

Paddy Griffin(?) and ‘her’? I never got to meet Paddy Griffith, but, um…

I’ve heard about this, and it apparently has to do with the idea that in any group of people, in this case male soldiers, only a select few are actually comfortable trying to kill someone.

To overcome this, modern militaries now deliberately use targets that look like humans, and train you to shoot at them instinctively, the idea being to make people more comfortable trying to kill.

Apparently in world war 2 the number of rounds fired was far far in excess of what is to be expected if you account for aimed shots, meaning most people were just firing at basically nothing.

Maybe they were mixing up the author’s name with Patty Griffin?

Completely spur of the moment thought even before reading the link but perhaps it is because reloading was drilled until it was automatic. Fire and reload and only then think if you are going to break and run. Or move or anything else that takes time.

Anyone that’s ever played a FPS knows you always reload at any free moment! I think this idea is spot on. I think that’s especially true in an era where it took a while to reload. You don’t want to get surprised by a fight with an unloaded gun.

Coming to Switch! I did not see that coming.

When I was in the Army in my wayward youth in the seventies, fire control was always a problem. Someone would start shooting and a fair number of troops would also start shooting even if they could see nothing.