Ultra light laptops

The other day I noticed that Best Buy has the HP Spectre X2 on clearance. I can vouch for this computer since it’s my daily driver. It is basically a Surface Pro clone, but in many ways much nicer. The screen is higher resolution, the keyboard is better, the SSD is larger, it has two USB-C ports, and it really feels like a tablet in tablet mode (none of the sharp edges that make it annoying to hold a Surface). For less then the price of a bare i5 Surface, you get an i7 with Iris graphics, a keyboard cover, and a stylus. Anyone considering a tablet PC ought to take a look at it.

I thought Dell implemented a relatively quick ‘advanced user’ screening. This was about 10 years ago mind you, maybe when they were growing and publicly traded.

Yeah, years ago I was very pleased with Dell tech support, and I’d seem to pretty quickly end up with someone who’s knowledge was at the level of the issue. In the last few years it’s been all off-shore support people reading off of their cheat sheets.

My 2017 Surface Pro died a couple of weeks ago. I experienced the dreaded Surface UEI boot loop error. It did not take long for Microsoft support to figure out (via live chat) that the motherboard was not talking to the hard drive, so the Surface is dead. They are shipping a replacement that I will get next week. The only minor complaint is that in order for them to ship the replacement first (as opposed to you shipping it back to them first) is they charge your credit card. We have a Microsoft store and if they had a replacement in stock, I could just exchange it in person.

Not quite as smooth as Apple, but not a bad experience with their tech support.

Sounds like exactly what happened to my wife. They replaced it at the MS store, despite its being out of warranty, and transferred all her local stuff for her.

So good on one hand, but a bit worrying on hardware side.

Yes, this is the second Surface Pro (an older 3) that died on me and then in another the wireless card stop working. I’ve use the warranty on all of my Surface Pro purchases over the years.