UltraMegaGiga Baldur's Gate 2

Both expansions?

As a D&D nerd, I can’t go back to BG1 or 2. Why? Because it doesn’t use the extremely superior 3.x ruleset. I know, it’s a silly thing, but after playing with D&D as it is now, it’s hard to go back to the broken version of D&D. :)

There was only one expansion for BG2.

Indeed.

<Kyle’s mom>WhatwhatWHAT???</Kyle’s mom>

Oh yeah, you’re a reviewer, right? The rest of us have to wait until a week from now?

We’ve had a release here of BG1+expansion & BG2+expansion on the same DVD - despite already owning BG2 it seems to be a pretty cheap way of acquiring the whole lot…

Yeah, I always hated 2nd edition D&D mechanics, so I could never get into the BG games, despite their merits. IWD 2 was the only Infinity Engine game to use the 3.x rules, IIRC. Now if someone made a mod to play BG using 3.x rules, that would get my attention… :-)

It’s all right, you only hated those mechanics because they were horrible, broken, and limited. Hence how the battles goes in most of BG2. :)

And yeah, I still go back and play IWD2 from time to time, even though BG2 was a superior game in many ways.

It’s a simple question. When you’re the divine being in charge of all murder that happens in the realm, is bagging your sister that twisted? I mean it seems like what you’d expect.

I’ve meant to work towards getting past BGtutu, I’m not sure if I deleted it or not. The Shar-Teel romance was buggy if not interesting. I guess I’ll try to export whatever the hell I was playing (skald?) into this mess of stuff Lum’s posted. Sounds fun.

I do like that the geezers could bitch about how little time they have for fun now before the thread even took off.

lol rpgcodex

If you decide to play all those expansions there L00m, be advised: a lot of the lewt is pretty effing weak and you’ll burn through most of your magic arrow/stone supplies if you’re big on ranged weapons (and you’d better be, mister!).

Also, big expansions like TDD and SOS re-use old maps and I found their storylines sort of boring. It felt a little too same-same, IMO. With the largesse of gameplay available in BG2, I’d lean toward mods that improve the game in other ways.

Psst! Icewind Gate II!

• Alan

Does that actually work? Last I heard they had given up on it halfway through and even their testers needed to do tons of tweaking and fiddling at various points in the middle of gameplay to be able to get things working.

Wow, if that works, it would be awesome.

Can someone explain the differences between the rulesets to the D&D layman? What makes the 3.x ruleset goodier than 2.x?

It’s more better.

Seriously, for a layman, that’s all you need to know.

The single biggest change is that there’s now a unified dice mechanic for everything. 2nd edition had a different way of rolling dice for just about everything. 3rd edition, everything is “roll a d20, add your skill or other applicable modifier, see if you meet the target number.”

The system was also made more modular and customizable, lots of nifty stuff was added for both players and GMs, and the system was actually playtested out the wazoo this time.

They also fixed the stupid armor class system. In the 2nd edition, armor with LOWER numbers was better, while the opposite was true for weapons. Idiotic.

I’ll also add that multiclassing is much, much better in 3rd ed D&D.

What Matt and Rollory said: that’d be awesome if it worked. It’s listed on “indefinite beta test.”

This is a HUGE point for me… I can live with the rest of the points mentioned, but 2nd edition punished you for customizing… That’s crazy talk. 3rd edition is all about customizing. With feats, skills, spells, class, prestige classes, etc.