Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

The other thing about Hamm is that it’s a bit of a stunt-cast. He was Ellie Kemper’s drama teacher in high school in St. Louis.

Ha! That is amazing.

This theme song is going to be stuck in my head forever, isn’t it?

I almost died when the Auto-Tune started on that.

UuuuuuunBREAKABLE

They alive, dammit! These females is strong as hell!

So last night watching the show I had actually been thinking how an autotuned theme song (which is a brilliant concept) really could be a lot catchier than this one is. If I were making this show (I said to myself), I’d just hire the guys who made those old Autotune the News videos!

Turns out that’s what they actually did.

I still say it missed the mark at least a little bit, but sounds like maybe it’s just me.

Watch episodes 4 and 5 last night, anyway, and they were definitely the best so far. More focused. I have to say, I think the actor playing Titus is a weak link for the show, unfortunately, but when he’s paired up with Carol Kane I’m still happy as a clam. She’s awesome.

The song has badly poisoned my mind at this point.

I think that this is the original inspiration.

See, I was leaning more towards this one especially because Tina Fey seems to have a thing for Cleveland that I don’t understand.

Aaaaand Hide Your Kids, Hide Your Wife.

That’s the obvious inspiration since the show’s plot is largely based on that news story.

Yeah, that one seems closer…my only exposure to these was the one I linked and Backin’ Up.

Thanks to this thread my wife and I have been watching this show the last two nights, it’s great. We have not watched 30 Rock, but this show makes me consider digging it up.

This show is definitely not dis-similar to 30 Rock.

I don’t know what it is about this show, but something about it feels a bit off. I can’t place my finger on it, but I think it might have to do with the lack of a real “straight man” character.

30 Rock had Liz Lemon (while goofy, she was often the voice of reason).

Who is the voice of reason on this show?

Something like that maybe?

Well usually Kimmy is the voice of reason, frequently discovering that while she doesn’t understand the latest trends, her heart’s in the right place and she should stick with that.

I didn’t want to keep piling on criticisms in my other post, but one other thing that felt off to me is the supporting cast sort of rotating in and out. I thought Jane Krakowski was billed as high as everyone else, but she disappears for a couple episodes at a time, and her family with her. The show is Titus and Kimmy every episode, with Lilian a lesser but constant presence. Maybe I’m crazy, IMDB credits Krakowski with all 13 episodes, but it felt like she was out of the picture half the time. And Xanthippe really was only in five episodes, and the son was barely in two as best I can remember.

I wish it was a little more stable in that regard. Kimmy and Xanthippe were a lot of fun together.

Also, I tuned out any time the show actually became about Jacqueline (Krakowski). She’s hilarious as a foil for Kimmy because of how over the top she is, but her native American flashbacks and road trip at the end were all excessive and dumb.

I would like mention that my critiques of the show don’t mean I dislike it. I love it, it is just weird. But I love weird.

Right, I really enjoyed it too. Ellie Kemper and Tituss something-or-other are both hilarious and certainly win out over all the things that bugged me about it.

Man I love that line, I say it at least once a day.

Also, “Hey Titus, you wanna go to Boston Market?” had me laughing for a long time. I’ll definitely rewatch the season sometime before the second one comes out.

Well this didn’t. That guy was easily my least favorite thing about the show.

Finished up the season the other night and I’d have to agree that the final few episodes were weaker than the rest of the season. The trial was more frustrating than fun and Jane Krakowski playing the same character she did on 30 Rock makes me hope we see less of her going forward. That said, I still enjoyed it and will be back for season 2.