Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End

Yeah, I haven’t gotten much use out of my launch PS4 either, aside from Last of Us Remastered, which was truly excellent. But Bloodborne is coming soon. I hope it will be the game that gets rid of my buyer’s regret, just like Demon’s Souls was the game that did that for me for the PS3 I bought back in the day.

The full Uncharted 4 demo from E3 - including the bit shown behind closed doors - is now online. If you don’t want story spoilers, stop watching when the logo comes up at 12:30. https://youtu.be/sB0xy74Zrj8

Alan Tudyk was going to be in Uncharted 4, but Amy Hennig’s firing put the kibosh on that.

“I worked on Uncharted, the one that has yet to come out - I was doing a role on that. Really, I hadn’t seen [Nolan] since he and I had recorded years before,” he began.

"I liked it… they… ummm… they fired… ummm… [lets out a massive sigh] I left, I quit! [laughs] So, I didn’t like it. I mean, I left because they decided to go a different way with it and so when they did that, when they changed leadership, it made my contract null and void and I was able to take that opportunity to walk away which was great because I got the experience of doing it, I made some friends - not with Naughty Dog - but I made some friends with the people that left.

“Todd Stashwick was in that as well who is in Con Man and he did the same thing I did which was ‘yeah we’re gonna leave now. Y’all are making some weird changes, we’re gonna leave’. Sorry Nolan, we left you, we just walked away, we abandoned him.”

I just found out today Amy Hennig is doing a Star Wars game! I guess everyone but me already knew that.

-Tom

What? There’s a Star Wars game in development besides the multiplayer-only Battlefront? I had no idea either.

Yes, it’s being developed by Visceral. Me thinks the rumors pointed to it being third-person with open world and/or comparable to Uncharted or something, but it’s been a while. EDIT: Google linkage.

There’s a Star Wars game in development besides the multiplayer-only Battlefront? I had no idea either.

If there aren’t at least 20 Star Wars games in development I’d be amazed.

So I really hope Uncharted 4 does something to overhaul the encounters.

I just finished playing through Uncharted 1 through 3 on PS4 as a part of the Nathan Drake collection. Everything about those games is utterly incredible, except for the combat which is some of the most poorly designed, unfair, and frustrating shooter gameplay I’ve ever played.

Grenades flying in from everywhere even from enemies 1000ft away, rocket launchers from enemies that are perfectly accurate, and way too many enemies overall.

It’s just so stupid, jarring, and not executed well at all.

I haven’t played all three (just the first and some of the third) but that was my biggest complaint. The combat felt like a slog and there was an awful lot of it. I really enjoyed everything else in the games but man, that combat made me stop playing the first game for a long time because I found it so tedious. So many cheap deaths from the things you mention.

Towards the end of 1 I switched to Easy difficulty and never looked back outside of dabbling with Normal difficulty for the beginning of 2 and 3. But nope nope nope, cheap death after cheap death, I switched back to Easy for the remainder of those games.

What’s crazy is that Uncharted 3, even on Easy difficulty, has a shit ton of horrendously cheap and practically unavoidable deaths. There’s a section in a sandstorm toward the end of the game where even on that difficulty, enemies can see you perfectly from across the level when you can’t see them at all. I died probably 10 times in a row in multiple sections of the game on Easy, yet I’ve never had any problems like this in any other shooter.

Yeah, I played through Uncharted 2 in the Uncharted Collection on PS4, and made it through to about Chapter 8 in Uncharted 3. It definitely helps that it’s on PS4 because I can glory in the fact that I can get headshot after headshot, which is something I can never do with the PS3 pad, but I agree that even then the combat gets pretty monotonous and kind of crazy in terms of difficulty spikes sometimes.

On the other hand, I still have very high hopes for Uncharted 4. Why? Because of The Last of Us. Combat in that game was so unpredictable. Sometimes I’d get in a situation where I was low on resources, and I’d get to up against seemingly impossible odds. And then later I’d be fully equipped and have lots of ammo, and I wouldn’t need any of it because my opposition was so weak. The game always kept me on my toes and was brilliantly designed. And that same team is heading up Uncharted 4? Sign me up please.

Only played 1-2 on PS3. They were fantastic games but I found Tomb Raider (PC) to be largely the same genre, but with better plot and set pieces, a few open-world choices (still too limited, but at least you could go back and explore), better combat. Of course Tomb Raider came later so was able to learn from others.

I too thought it looks amazing but a bit too heavy on ledge-jumping and climbing. Hope that was just the one level.

I don’t have a PS4 anyways, probably won’t get one.

I bet I know what’s getting patched out before launch.

Could it simply be an homage?

Doubtful. Jonathan Cooper, the current lead animator at Naughty Dog, used to be at Ubisoft on the Assassin’s Creed team. He was one of the people that bagged on the AC folks really hard when Ubisoft claimed that animating female assassins for Unity’s co-op modes would be “twice the work.”

Alex Hutchinson the creative director at Ubisoft Montreal, just beefed this back:

HAHA okay, well, then yeah probably not an homage. An incredible response by Alex Hutchinson though. That’s excellent.

And there you go: http://www.naughtydog.com/site/post/an_update_on_the_uncharted_4_a_thiefs_end_story_trailer/

In our eagerness to get the story trailer out we made a regrettable mistake and didn’t thoroughly vet the art work used for an in game painting. We’ve already updated the trailer. We hold all artistry in high regard and take full responsibility for having allowed this to happen.

We want to sincerely apologize to everyone at Ubisoft, the Assassin’s Creed team, the original artist, and our fans.

Uncharted 4 multiplayer beta has begun and can be played over the weekend. I did a couple of matches this evening and I had so much fun! The pvp is fast paced action, with climbing and grappling hooks that fits the franchise. I liked the three different maps I tried aswell.

It’s hard to believe but this is coming out in a week (5/10/2016).

I hope we get a Uncharted 4 / PS4.5 bundle for the holidays, I’d be all over that.

I still have to play uncharted 3. :|