Uncharted 4 - A Thief's End

Your describing just about every action videogame ever made so I don’t get the complaint for this one.

Cool. That reminds me of:

I love those kinds of touches. A bit like Alyx making scary creature noises behind you then laughing when you turn round.

It would be great if people posting spoilers could either learn how the spoiler tags work or don’t post spoilers.

Parents in town visiting over the weekend, I started playing Uncharted 4. They’re pretty amazed with the graphics and acting, but every time I’m climbing around it’s just so absolutely absurd it wrecks the entire thing. And then I get into gun fights where I’m just shooting a thousand dudes in the face - after failing to stealth through an area and dying 10 times.

Game is fun, but man the hyperbole around every Uncharted release is just…hilarious. It’s like the entire gaming industry regresses to little kids trying to justify their hobby to the rest of the world by falling over themselves trying to make the most ridiculously exaggerated statements possible.

Can’t we just let the Uncharted games be beautiful good games that also happen to have well-acted cutscenes? Why does everyone always feel the need to proclaim each new one as the best thing ever released?

Most impressive piece of pirate technology:
Metal casters on crates that are immune to corrosion

Can’t we just let the Uncharted games be beautiful good games that also happen to have well-acted cutscenes? Why does everyone always feel the need to proclaim each new one as the best thing ever released?

Honestly, all of NaughtyDog’s games always feel like they really, really, really just want to make movies, so they tack on some fairly mundane gameplay to awesome cutscenes.

In many games, I tend to play at harder difficulty levels because it extends the gameplay, but in the Uncharted games I’ve found that doing so adds essentially zero value. In many ways, the normal gameplay gets in the way of the story.

Uncharted 4 is an insanely good looking game though. The characters are probably the most lifelike I’ve ever seen, and the environments looks very cool.

Overall, it’s been quite fun so far.

Yeah, this game needs a lot fewer wheeled crates to climb up on. Seriously, it has GOT to be an in-joke or something. There was kind of a funny reference to it at one point I won’t get into and I thought that might be the end of it, but then not 10 minutes later a real actual situation where I had to find one cropped up. Guys. At least both Sam and Nathan can swim, I guess.

Most impressive piece of pirate technology:
Metal casters on crates that are immune to corrosion

I dunno, wooden water wheels that last for 400 years without rotting are pretty impressive.

Jeez, Troy. Why?

I think I’ve figured out my biggest problem with Uncharted 4, and Uncharted games in general - it’s never at all clear whether it’s possible to entirely stealth through an area.

I’m at around chapter 8 and 9, and in every case where a gun fight breaks out and I have the opportunity to stealth around for a while, I always inevitably hit a total brick wall where it seems impossible to continue without shooting a thousand dudes in the face first.

How could the enemy numbers be anything other than “literally representative” in a game with the most photorealistic graphics of all time? Every other facet of this game is “literally representative” of real world locations and characters, right down to the astonishing fidelity of the facial expressions. So where’s the writing to match that?

I agree that players being too efficient at killing (partially) accounts for the inflated number of enemies, but the solution to that is writing a version of Drake that’s more credible as an efficient mass killer and preternatural free climber, not the tender family man we’re given. And even if the story after Chapter 8 makes all the killing go down a little easier, I doubt Naughty Dog can write anything that makes this character fit all that free climbing.

I forgive other cinematic, story-driven games for their game-y contrivances because the writing does a better job of supporting and acknowledging the gameplay. The Last of Us, for instance, presents Joel as every bit the nasty, damaged sociopath you’d expect based on the brutality and frequency of his killing. The tone of the writing matches the gameplay. At least, close enough to not be a significant distraction. Who knows if there will ever be a perfect match in any game with a high kill count.

And I definitely think the game is worth seeing through. The themes of obsession, greed and the damage that does to friends, family and associates are handled deftly.

Every time I feel the urge to go back, I remember the crate pushing section that wore me out. :( I guess the Drake rope disappears when the game doesn’t want you to use it.

I’m fairly certain that every encounter that starts as stealth can end in stealth.

Because the combat, like just about every other facet of every game ever made, is an abstraction of some sort. And as high fidelity as the graphics are, they remain highly stylized, just like the action and just like the platforming.

I agree that players being too efficient at killing (partially) accounts for the inflated number of enemies, but the solution to that is writing a version of Drake that’s more credible as an efficient mass killer and preternatural free climber, not the tender family man we’re given. And even if the story after Chapter 8 makes all the killing go down a little easier, I doubt Naughty Dog can write anything that makes this character fit all that free climbing.

That’s not a solution for this game, that’s asking for a different story and tone altogether.

Well that’s a cool thing to know if true. It’ll at least make me try harder to succeed.

I assume though “end in stealth” still means snapping a thousand necks instead of shooting a thousand dudes, right? Rather than avoiding encounters entirely?

Good question… I’ve definitely exited encounters quietly leaving a good number of dudes completely alive and unaware. I’m less certain that every encounter of that type can be done in that way. One for example calls for the lowering of a drawbridge which would be difficult with zero detection & zero deaths I imagine.

I always got the feeling that the high enemy numbers were a cheap way to extend the playtime.

You can definitely bypass some fights.

Well, I beat it last night. After a game like Dark Souls, it feel short.

But I found the story quite enjoyable. And jumping around was neat and fun. The way it handled respawns was pretty solid, as it put you pretty much right where you died, so you rarely had to repeat much.

The combat mechanics were consistently lackluster. Not really terrible, but not really entertaining either. As I mentioned previously, stuff like combat seems totally tacked on.

But all that aside, like the Last of Us, it’s kind of a different take on video games. While it’s not the most fun in terms of gameplay action as other games, it kind of feels like it elevates the notion of a video game. It feels more like art you are observing, like a movie or something.

And the thing is, it’s kind of a good movie. Not really because the plot is so unexpected and fresh, but because the presentation is nice. There are a ton of times where you’re walking around and the environment is breathtaking. The character models, voice acting, and emotional display is top notch.

Overall, I’d say it was worth the price of admission.

Not really interested in moving boxes around to jump on though.

I just wished Uncharted 4 had a few more elements from The Last of Us. I absolutely loved the combat in TLOU and still mostly hate it in UC4.

I love the higher difficulty levels of these games, and find that the combat aspects of the game only really come alive and match the storytelling on the hardest difficulty. that was especially true of last of us, but also Uncharted 2/3 - the first one was a bit different in how it handled difficulty. You’re forced to use the weapons and environment more thoughtfully, and can’t just disregard stealth opportunities or pay little attention to resources. Even ignoring Crushing difficulty, the Uncharted games are much, much better games on Nightmare setting, which requires you to invest and really understand the games’ so systems and weapons.

Finished this one up today. Took me 22 hours total, but I was moving through it really slowly. Loved the story and environments, but if you don’t already enjoy the Uncharted formula I don’t think it will win you over. It was a wonderful way to wrap up the series, but despite really loving it I hope they don’t make any more and create new IP’s instead.