Uncharted or Uncharted 2

I haven’t played Gears since the first one. Did the second have a lot of great Tomb Raider-esque environment transversal puzzles? I can’t imagine a guy as bulky as Marcus or Dom swinging from a flagpole or climbing a wall, but man, that must be something to see!

I guess Gears 3 is a day one for me now! Thanks, Josh!

I wanted to love the train, but my memories of that level are clouded by the boss (merc guy in one of the train cars) who for some reason had a whole bunch of ways to insta-kill me that I just couldn’t get around. I forget exactly what, but I think there were melee encounters with him that, if you missed a certain punch, you would just die immediately, and I got killed by that like 20 times in a row. So, I have bad memories of the train. that trump anything good that it did.

Nice. This is the first post I’ve read about Uncharted like this, and now the love-fest actually makes sense. To enjoy what the game is offering for most of the game just makes so much more sense than when people just praise the story and characters and dialogue. Thanks Jazar. The universe makes sense again. Btw, I know what you mean by being excited when another wave of enemies enters an area. Not about Uncharted, of course, since I don’t like the combat in it, but in games like Halo and Gears of War 2’s Horde mode, when that next set of enemies comes at you, there’s a sort of giddy excitement because you know that fighting them is just going to be a blast.

Just to underscore Bahimiron’s point, inspired by this thread I started a second playthrough of Uncharted 2 last night. I only played for an hour or so before going to bed (I would have played longer but the game spent 30 minutes downloading updates before it allowed me to play), and in that time I shot a grand total of one dude. Combat picks up as the game goes along, but it still doesn’t dominate the experience like it does in Gears, which is a big chunk of why I think the Uncharted games are a lot better.

That’s hardly fair though as the first level of the game is really like nothing that follows it.

Yes, the first few levels are lighter on combat than the rest of the game, as I explicitly made clear in the last sentence of the post you just quoted. It’s still not nearly as combat heavy as Gears. Should I just retype that post? Would you read it this time?

Even still the game opens with a flash forward climbing piece and then the first real level is essentially a stealth level of the type you never see again throughout the rest of the game.

So the answer to LesJarvis’s question is “No. No, I won’t read it.”

But I can think of one level that can be done entirely from stealth later on that uses the skills you learn in the first level.

I’ve only played until the fight against a helicopter in Uncharted 2, but I can agree with LesJarvis that so far Uncharted 2 has a lot less ratio of combat than the first Uncharted. The first game I estimated earlier at 90/5/5, with combat making up 90 percent of the experience, so far Uncharted 2 feels a little more balanced, not only because of that opening stealth level, but also many more platforming portions than in the first game. For example, even in Nepal I did a lot more climbing around than I ever did in the first Uncharted.

Not always advisable though. I did this on one section, thought I got all the guys, missed some dude on the other half of the map, proceeded to what seemed like the exit point and it spawned a cutscene where I was gunned down :(

I think there’s a difference between “Combat picks up as the game goes along” and the game starting with a unique level that is not replicated. It’s not a matter of things scaling up, it’s a matter of being presented with something atypical at the start.

And I played both Uncharted 1 & 2 and never saw ‘a lot’ or ‘great’ traversal puzzles. In fact UC2 felt pretty linear when it came to its puzzle segments, much like Tom said in his review of it. It did have much better combat though. I just think its important to note that the game is essentially a shooter with a much lesser emphasis on jumping and puzzle elements, and most definitely not the other way around. If someone had told me that from the beginning I may have been less disappointed with the first one. The second is definitely better gameplay-wise, but like i said, the story is weaker – still better than any GoW which is just embarrassingly bad.

Josh, Josh, Josh. If you own Gears 2, we simply have to play Horde together so that I can show you the errors of your ways. I haven’t played the campaigns much in either Gears game, so you’re probably right about those, but Horde mode is something absolutely beautiful. When you hear a teammate yelling “Boomer!” right as he goes down and starts yelling “revive me”, you’ll understand why the tactical awareness and team cohesion required to get through the harder waves of Horde make it a thing of beauty. It’s the most fun multiplayer game since the Fallout Tactics Multiplayer demo.

Oh, sorry, that’s out of context, i meant the story in Gears of War is hilariously bad. The actual co-op / horde mode gameplay is great, if a little repetitive. In fact I think if UC could’ve used co-op, it certainly would help make some of the longer combat sequences go by faster.

I’d say nonlinear world puzzles are the rare beast.

They’re not brilliant, to be sure, but they support the style of play and provide something more than just surfing across a 2D plain.

More significantly, they were generally integrated into the environment, rather than being abrupt puzzle boxes arranged by some trickster demon.

The story ain’t brilliant, granted - but the environments, animation, execution, acting, tone - those are all pretty damned good. I suspect those plot elements are what people most think of when they say ‘great story’, rather than the arc itself.

Just to toss another opinion onto the pile, I would say you absolutely have to play Uncharted 1 before Uncharted 2. Uncharted 2 might have better gameplay, but the real value of these games is the characters. And if you jump straight to Uncharted 2, you’re missing a lot of the groundwork that will make you care about these characters.

Many times, I think people should just go straight to the best game in a series. For instance, if you want to play Ratchet & Clank, just go straight to Crack in Time. But if you want to groove on the Uncharted games, you simply have to start with Uncharted 1. I cannot stress enough how important it is that you meet Drake, Elena, and Sully in the way that Amy Hennig and company introduced them.

-Tom

Agree: you should play Uncharted 1 first. Uncharted is kind of a Tomb Raider with Gears of War-light combat, with solid story-telling/production values. One thing I preferred about the first Uncharted was you can actually always tell which environmental objects you can climb, etc. - while in the 2nd there are environments, ledges, etc. that look as though you can climb/use them (and there are similar ones that you can), but you’re unable to, which gives environmental exploration a less “solid” feel.

Uncharted 2 has much better setpieces, far more impressive graphics, less annoying vehicle/turret stuff, and is just a richer game overall. And multiplayer.

Anyone ever play Uncharted 2 multiplayer? I’d like to try it some time. Come on, Jazar.

Heck yes. Multiplayer is great. I was almost in a game with Tom & Fuzzyslug but CSL beat me to it and co-op only allows 3 members. I’m out of town this weekend but when I get back we can set something up. Just know that it can take an excruciatingly long amount of time to load up the multiplayer component if you haven’t played it or haven’t played it in a long time.

Yeah, the co-op multiplayer is really the bee’s knees. I really like how the horde mode forces you to move around the map in that treasure game type. You can’t just hunker down and wait for the AI to charge you. I wish Halo’s firefight had something like that.

-Tom