Under The Skin

Some of my Twitter replies indicated that a few dudes, at least, went to see ScarJo. And you won’t be disappointed – I’ve seen teen summer boob comedies with far less nudity than this. Lots of sausages in Under The Skin, so it was definitely an equal opportunity nudity film.

A guy I work with, whose opinion is usually reliable on these matters, loves complex / challenging movies and it was one of the few he walked out on. I wouldn’t walk out on it, but I would give people a fair warning before going in: it is not a bad movie by any means, but it is arthouse to the HILT. You need to know that going in.

Also, again, Under The Skin contains arguably the worst child in peril scene I have ever watched. It was very unpleasant. I guess it is hard to understand how this changes when you become a parent, but that shit becomes super hard to watch, and this one was off the damn charts in scale. :(

The more I think about Under The Skin, the more I think it is a statement about feminism most of all. Mostly because all the weird in the movie came from man’s humanity to woman.

I agree it is visually and aurally quite compelling, but… the overall story is just… routine. Alien doesn’t understand human morality, tries to learn, is punished severely because we’re actually dicks to each other, figuratively and literally.

Well you know, whatever, because I’m pretty sure I am the only person on the planet who has watched this movie in an Uncle Grandpa lederhosen T-shirt.