UnderRail (isometric post apocalyptic RPG)

The south caves exit is the one you want. That’s the secure area where you need the key card you get from the guard Malcom on level 9. Once you get that you can exit though the blast doors and talk to old man Jonas there in the south caves. He’s just past the base blast doors. Those caves are where the outposts are. Watch out for the giant rats down there.

Ah, okay cool. I’ll dive back in tonight and head the correct direction and see if I can’t level up a little doing the main story mission, so I’m not so fragile. Thanks!

Cool. Old Jonas will have a quest or 2 for you as well.

Yes. Especially early on, grenades are king in combat. After a while you’ll get opponents that can resist them better but they saved my ass multiple times in the early game.

Did UnderRail get an automatic mapper at some point?

Yes

Thanks heavens! My girls are leaving me alone for 3 days so after they go to bed tonight I’m going to start this up. I’ll have until Sunday to finish it.

I reloaded my game and I thankfully saved right before encountering the bandits. I went back to the previous map and looted some foot lockers and hey! I found the package!

Anyway, I’m still on track, so I’ll keep going with your advice and see how it plays out a bit longer.

Would a game like that work well on an iPad type system?

Goodness no. But then, I don’t think I’ve ever really had a good experience trying to play games on iPads, even the 12" one I have. I don’t like when my hands get in front of the screen. Annoys the hell out of me. I’ll let more experienced players field this question for real, but to me it seems way to mouse/UI intensive.

I totally missed that quest! :-/

If you should want to buy anything from that guy, make sure you do it before you complete that quest. He doesn’t stick around the starting area after that.

100 hours in and I’m wandering around the Deep Caverns and rapidly losing interest. Respawning enemies – but not just “respawning,” but enemies that spawn every time you peek into the fog of war, has to be the worst fucking idea ever. Here I was thinking the Deep Caverns was the end of the game, but no, it’s just yet another chapter in this massive game that - Just. Won’t. End.

Reducing all combat stats by 40% is also not fun.

I have something like 160k xp out 27k, which means I could have leveled 5-6 times above the level cap which also strikes me as terrible game design.

I’ve committed myself to the Wiki to figure out where to go and what to do because the ultra-spawning enemies and depleting supplies means I have little patience for exploration. Just tell me where to go next. Which begs the question - why am I even bothering?

DC is a bit extreme, yeah, especially if you don’t have stealth. It is the last area of the game though ;).

What are your thoughts on the game if you ignore the DC area?

Agreed on that final caverns stuff. It is a slog but like @Bateau said you are getting close to the end.

Yeah. I loved the game and played it obsessively until I hit the Deep Caverns final area. I realized it was ruining the fun of the game for me so I ended up putting the game down and haven’t been back since. It’s the only part of the game I didn’t like. I’m not sure what the dev was thinking there.

Deep Roads
Deep Caverns

No one likes deep combat slogs in their RPGs I guess.

I actually am perfectly fine with combat slogs. It’s the tedious, stupid stuff in Deep Caverns that wears you down.

I do have Stealth, so that helps. I’m also Psi based so I can defeat smaller encounters without burning any supplies. Of course, small encounters in DC are rare. The enemies usually just keep coming and coming.

I generally really enjoyed the game, but even before DC I felt the game was too big. You could easily cut out Foundry or Rail Crossing and 20-30% of the map and still have a large game.

I made it to Tchort. I’m done. So done. Seriously – if the community has to make a 3rd party website to solve a bullshit hyper complex puzzle in the final minutes of the game, you have failed as a game designer.

I could write pages and pages about how bad Deep Caverns are. 20-25 hours of NO PROGRESSION, because you maxxed XP long ago, and the loot isn’t any good, either. Respawning enemies, and annoying puzzles that ensure you have to back-track over the same zones and repawning enemies over and over, all while suffering a -40% debuff. Not only do you not GAIN power in the Deep Caverns, you lose it. Quest items that weigh up to 20 lbs and that you have to lug all over the place. It’s just… amazingly bad.

I haven’t seen a game go from being so great to so incredibly bad since ME3. But actually? Underrail is worse than ME3, because at least the ME3 ending was over in an hour or so, whereas I spent 25 hours trekking around the deep caverns.

Don’t buy this game and don’t play it.