UnderRail (isometric post apocalyptic RPG)

How’s your SMG user planned out? Throwing + Guns, high Dex, high Per?

My starting stats were:

STR 3
DEX 8 (going to be 14 eventually)
AGI 7
CON 3
PER 9
WIL 3
INT 7

The original template I was looking at had AGI and INT at 6 but I really wanted Interloper (and later Hit & Run) and some crafting perks:

Skills (at lvl 17):

Guns (max every level)
Throwing (stopped at ~50, with stealth I can get close enough for decent accuracy and I got the feats I wanted)
Stealth (max every level)
Evasion (so far I’m at ~100 effective, I plan to push it as high as possible now that I’m more or less done with crafting)
Hacking (~110 effective, won’t go above 120 due to huxkey)
Lockpicking (100 effective so far, won’t go higher due to 2 more dex points and Huxkey)
Mechanics (~115 effective)
Electronics (~115 effective)
Tailoring (~115 effective)
Chemistry (~80 effective, will likely raise ~30 points more, have to check wiki for some DC tier components first)
Biology (very little, only to meet requirements for some items)

Dodge is still up for debate because I’m mostly using goggles which give a huge -25% penalty to Dodge when equipped. On the other hand I’m mostly done with crafting and utility skills so that only leaves Guns and Stealth to max out at every level and with 8 levels to go I should have enough point to bring Evasion and Dodge up to decent level.

Feats: Expertise, Hit & Run, Nimble, Pack Rathound, Interloper, Grenadier, Ballistics, Three Pointer, Spec Ops, Commando

With 4 more possible picks I’m deciding between: Suppresive fire + Opportunist, Clothier, Skinner (for Infused Cavehopper Leather), Power Management (mostly for the shields and Cloak Device), Gun Nut* (probably wasted on SMGs), Evasive Maneuvers*, Escape Artist*

• = very questionable, they sound good on paper but probably aren’t that useful in practice.

I think I’ll go with suppresive fire + opportunist in the end, more damage is always cool, and Clothier over Skinner because I’ve read that DC is filled to the brim batteries. So the plan was to craft a very high quality regenerative vest which will require some points in biology. And let’s face it, black overcoats look infinitely cooler than leather rags. The last slot will likely go to Power Management for the huge shield capacity.

He he! ;) I still can’t believe you didn’t like that game. I will admit i came to it late (as is my trend) so it was all patched up etc, but i loved the story and had to play through all the different endings…just because it felt like a game that deserved that. Have you tried playing it again more recently (with fixes/graphics upgrades etc)…you might have thinking about it, but it just seems like something is wrong in this universe when Tom Chick has no love for Deus Ex ;)

@ spacedust

Small update: just did the arena with this build. The only time I took damage was vs Carnifex in the final round because he won the initiative roll. He died in two rounds - 2 bursts with 7.62 standard + flashbang, followed by Adrenaline shot and 5 bursts. Everything else before him died in 1 turn :).

Yes, you get an attribute point every 4 levels (6 total, lvl 25 is cap). You can increase stats beyond 10 and still get benefits from scaling.

No, you don’t have to minmax. The bottleneck in this game are the feats (you only get 14). Since a lot of them are so useful and have great synergies you kinda want to specialize your character for the most fun experience. And in doing so you’ll naturally gravitate towards some stats which you’ll then pump instead of putting points where they’d be wasted, either due to poor stat-skill synergy or lack of supporting feats.

Uh, difficulty. Afaik the only difference is in your health and the healing effect. I think it’s 150% on easy, 100% on normal and 50% on hard. Everything else remains unaffected if I remember correctly, but don’t quote me on that.

Re difficulty curve - early levels/sectors have some nasty death traps with higher level enemies. Now, since the game doesn’t use any kind of stat suppression on your character when engaging those you can actually take them on if you prepare well (limiting factor will be your damage output in most cases). Early access version also had a nice feature that showed the level of these enemies when you clicked on them, it was a great way to quickly gauge the threat level. Unfortunately this was removed in release version for some reason so now it’s down to trial & error (although I think you can still see their HP which should help out a little). The problem is made worse due to the fact that the game doesn’t really tell you where to go and if you have particular skills at high level (lockpicking, stealth and hacking) you can stumble into areas that you have no right to be in :).

+1 on crafting, I don’t usually like it in rpgs because it adds to item clutter and inventory pains but the combination of good UI (telling you which professions are needed for specific components) and merchant buying system (eliminates hoarding tendencies) really make it fun to use. I love having the ability to custom tailor the equipment to my build. I mean sure you can get by with loot that you find but it’s extremely rare that you’ll find a combination of 3 or 4 items that will perfectly match your needs.

edit: Link that shows the differences between difficulty modes: http://www.underrail.com/wiki/index.php?title=Character_creation#Game_Difficulty

Ok, so krazykrok’s taste usually align with mine, so him posting such positive thoughts about the game and not once mentioning the font got me kind of curious. This was my last impression:

I just couldn’t go back after that because if I can’t read the font without getting a headache, I can’t really enjoy a game.

But Krazykrok didn’t even mention the horrible font once! So I got curious. I just started the game again.

And it’s a completely different font this time! The font is nice and smooth, very easy on the eyes. Yes! At some point they must have changed it. Currently I playing through Planescape: Torment along with the Classic Game Club, and having a hell of a good time, but as soon as I finish that, I plan to give this another try. Maybe I’ll start a psi character this time and read a guide before character creation since it was so overwhelming last time.

Yup, there was an update a few weeks ago. I was 100% sure I posted about it here. Oops.

In any case, here’s the news post with all the details: http://underrail.com/forums/index.php?topic=2056.0

I really want to like this game too, but geez, quest text is so vague – if I don’t make note of where to go for something right away, I won’t be able to find that info in my notes. And these 3 bandits are F’ing me up on the package quest. I feel I can’t make any progress at all without consulting the wiki, which is a turnoff.

just started. Man, I had forgotten what it was like to play games way back when. What I wouldn’t give for an automap or a way to rotate the camera.

I don’t understand. How is an automap going to help you? The game is isometric.

I think he means a map that is automatically filled in as he explores? Not an unreasonable demand, the game has like 300 sectors spread over multiple levels, it’s very easy to get lost.

Yeah, a map that would remind me where all the sector connections are. Ideally that could also be annotated with “lockpicking 60 box here, come back for it later” or “mutants, don’t go here yet” or something.

As for isometrics, there are a lot of times where I want to go up next to a door, or I want to loot or target a mob, and it’s more difficult than it should be. I find that I’m almost always holding down Tab.

UnderRail is getting an expansion - http://steamcommunity.com/games/250520/announcements/detail/601620085231613598 ! This just shot up to the #1 on my most anticipated list of games for the next two years.

Heh, I totally thought of you when I saw that announcement. I was all, like, “Bateau is going to flip the fuck out…”

-Tom

So did we all, Tom. ;)

I’m so predictable :)

That is similar to my experience. I encountered a fight that was too difficult and could not continue. I decided to take a break and come back to the fight but that only made it worse. So it sits in my Steam account but I doubt I will come back to it. I do not envy having to play the first 5 or 10 hours again and I do not think my current character can win the encounter. I found the game interesting up until that point but not interesting enough to slog through again.

So, overall is this an amazing game? Like a true spiritual successor to the original Fallout or something? In other words, is it worth putting up with the low budget production values for the sake of… the story, the mechanics, the world-building, something else? Something that’s so good, it’s worth investing time to learn the systems in this game and choosing not to play other games and forgoing other entertainment options for?

If so, maybe it’s worth voting for this for Request Wednesday like Metabaron used to. Tom is really good at teaching the mechanics of complicated games like during the last couple of weeks, he’s explained games to us that I doubt I could have understood without his stream.