Understanding possible ISP shenanigans

So this past week (with the FBI notice), I reset my router, downloaded firmware, etc… I also tacked on a new hard drive. I downloaded a bunch of games which had been sitting in my library with no space to go before then. In the last 24 hours or so, my internet connection has been spotty as heck. I did some command line pings, and packets were being lost. I disconnected my router, same result. My actual ping speed to various sites seemed high from memory.

So I called my ISP (Spectrum) and they insisted everything was fine on their end after running diagnostics. Whatevs, must be an issue on my end. I run the tests again once I’m off the phone, and the ping speed is cut in half and I’m not getting lost packets anymore.

Is that fishy or not?

IIRC you’re another NE Ohio person? I’ve been having connection issues the past few days as well on Spectrum and thought my equipment might’ve been going. So yea, sounds like something on their end that they didn’t want to tell you about.

Yeah, and got it; good to know. Thanks for the confirmation of my suspicions.

Also usually when you call them they check on the modem and send a reset command too, so if your modem had something going on that could have worked it out.