Underworld Ascendant brought to you by Zombie Looking Glass

Congrats, MM! This looks fantastic!

Thanks man–I’ve also retired my producer hat and have dawned my sr. develoiper wizard robes. Much more fun, and no annoying spreadsheets.

Hmm- Im a explorer backer, and have received neither word of this update, nor of any early build on steam?

edit: for some reason, the update was in spam - for the first time ever.

Looks fantastic!

What benefits does a publisher bring? Extra funding, marketing?

I see an update for this then I panic thinking I didn’t back it, so I check kickstarter and I did! :D

Money, marketing, and distribution. 505 is also pretty damn good at the whole social media thing. If you look at what they have done with Payday 2s community, we can learn a ton from them.

Makes sense. I certainly prefer courting a publisher to the alternative means of monetization SoTA and Star Citizen took.

What are you so racist towards telethons, stusser?! Who doesn’t love a good telethon?

So begins media blitz 2.0.
Must be getting close…;)

Heheh, “seminal”.

Looks fantastic! So AI doesn’t notice when a torch is snuffed out right in front of them? Or are skeleton warriors particularly stupid, being mindless undead?

Hehe. My first thought too. Great minds think alike I guess. Of course skeletons probably technically don’t have minds since the brain has rotted away…

Looks great. Is there going to be any kind of bestiary or something similar available in the game where a player could look up what the slugs like to eat, that the trail they leave behind is flammable, etc? Or is it all down to experimentation?

Also the game looks great. I was initially a little disappointed in the concept art that was posted a while ago but the end result looks very atmospheric, I love it.

AI is all a work in progress. yes they will react to light changes, boxes dropped on their heads exc.

Slugs:
well…i would just keep feeding them things.

Yeah I agree. Although I remember playing the original Ultima Underworld and being absolutely blown away. I only remember hazy parts of actually playing the game…searching for keys especially. But at the time it was a revelation…like you were seeing the future of computer games.

Otherside also released a video about Underworld Ascendant and the Looking Glass influence, all narrated by Stephen Russell and showing off some spiffy pre-alpha footage.

This Verge preview mentions that the story is about “a human who’s drawn into the game’s underground Stygian Abyss, and must fight a mythological “primordial nightmare” called Typhon. (No relation to Prey’s enemies, which are also known as the Typhon.)” - Talk about a coincidence!

Also the final boss in Titan Quest!

Regarding the original UW, it was all about exploration, aided by the amazing in-game map. And that music! One of the best game soundtracks of all time. So evocative of tentatively exploring a dangerous unknown.

That wanderer music brought back memories. So calming and safe and then, you get attack and the music changed to some fast paced and you jumped out of your seat. Sooo good!

I also really like that when you take out your sword, the 3 drum beats like followed by an eerie and be prepared sound - those tunes totally changed the feel and pace of the moment.

That reminds me of so many Origins games. Heh, do I miss paying extra for those voice pack expansions? Well, the one for Privateer paid for itself the first time a pirate whose ship was about to explode due to my fire yelled out, “No, it can’t end this way!!!”