Underworld Ascendant brought to you by Zombie Looking Glass

/s/masochist/sadist/

(cue the ravaging PoE hordes explaining why the skill web is a wonderful thing)

The best reason I’ve ever found to try to get into PoE is how much the skill tree reminds me of my beloved Sphere Grid from FFX.

Oh my that’s terrible. Did they throw that together an hour before they went gold? Holy molee.

No! It’s deliberate, and they defend it! But really it’s just complexity for its own sake, seen as a virtue. All the boring passive nodes could be removed or rolled into the more interesting nodes and it would be infinitely better.

Seeing that skill web, does it make you want to start playing PoE? I know it really turned me off.

I have a sickness for filling in tiny circles to indicate completion and achieve success.

I blame the teaching-to-the-test culture that permeated schooling in America when I was a kid.

Heck yeah! Virtual high five brother.

FFX rules. Though, the Sphere Grid is the part of the game I’m least likely to defend.

It’s what made me download the game.

The PoE skill web is simultaneously beautiful and evil. I still have no idea what I’m doing when I try to play.

Stusser, did the Path of Exile 1.1. skill tree bully you when you were a kid?

I don’t actually care if you like PoE or not (people have different tastes), but posting a 5(!) year old screen shot of the passive tree as part of an effort to prove that you really don’t understand the game’s mechanics is some high level shit man. If you had just said “I don’t understand the PoE mechanics” I totally would have believed you.

You seem oddly defensive about that game. Were you breast-fed as an infant? How about as a teenager?

That was just an example of unnecessary complexity. Why does it matter that the screenshot was old?

That skill tree induced me to play POE. I love complex character development systems, the messier the better. Build-tinkering and theorycraft attract me to games. Rolemaster was my favorite paper and pencil RPG.

People have different tastes ;)

This sums up the POE skill tree best. There is rhyme and reason to it, but you don’t begin to appreciate it until you are familiar with it after 100 hours and a few toons. It is also the reason POE toons benefit from a little bit of skill tree planning before going off willy nilly. There are various offline tools available to facilitate this which are a must for theorycrafting or just generally learning the tree layout.

The thing I like about it is that toons end up with a very distinct shape to their development, as defined by the tree. You can look at the shape and infer what a player was going for in their build, before looking closer at what notables they picked up along the way, or went out of their way to get to define their build.

Skill tree is the way it is with good reason, nothing about it is unnecessary.

I only have played PoE Hardcore, so the highest level I ever get is in the forties or fifties usually before dying… I Never have done maps, for instance.

It may be a single page…it may not. Since we are ‘classless’ I’m hesitant about having tabs. I think that railroads people into a play style.
Currently it looks more like AS:Origins than anything else…but it is a bit cramped. There are a few more things I want to play around with before making a call…scrolling, exc. I just don’t think our game is served well by separating the skills.

I was just giggling about your dislike of the game. You picked the a silly fight. I gave you a silly response.

Also, don’t look under your bed. . .

“Defensive”. Lol.

Really Stusser. You must learn to govern your passions. They will be your undoing.

Well it’s nothing like the current skill tree. Granted, the current tree’s improvements won’t be immediately evident to anyone not familiar with the game, and the tree is uninviting to the initiate. But that doesn’t excuse the fact that you don’t understand the mechanics at all . I mean, it was never “complexity for complexity’s sake”, and that’s a problematic critique (I get what you are going for, but it’s entirely without substance). I. . .

Hey why are we even talking about this in the Ultima Underworld thread. We could just go talk about it in the POE thread instead. I’ll even be defensive for you if it makes you feel better.

Tabs didn’t do that in D2, by which I mean that yeah sure “you’re a sorceror” but there was still considerable build variety outside of that. As long as things are grouped logically I’m sure whatever you chose will work great. The system sounds really interesting. Dunno if you are trying to avoid grouping by a somewhat “standard” mechanism like “here’s movement stuff, here’s ranged stuff, here’s mystical stuff” etc.

How are skills gated? With prereqs, level? If the former then you could make a web and maybe allow some fringe skills to be pathed to from other trees, for example if the mage tree has an invisibility spell allow it to be linked to the rogue tree, etc.

Salt & Sanctuary did something like that and it works pretty well.