Underworld Ascendant brought to you by Zombie Looking Glass

And worst of all, this all means there’s no Ann Margaret

Missed this the first time around. According to this post by some guy who I guess was a beta tester, UA’s levels were originally planned to be much smaller ~15-minute affairs, so they thought they could get away without having to burn dev time on implementing save-anywhere. I can see the logic of this. It worked for AvP '99 after all. But then the levels got bigger and bigger over the course of development, and yadda yadda, the game we ended up with.

I am 99.11% certain they knew damn well that UA in its final state needed save-anywhere, and that the “we’ve heard the fans” is pure spin bullshit.

Wondered where this ended up on Metacritic…

38/100 , that’s abandon ship and let her sink territory.

Flashbacks to

Hey, so here’s a question for everyone - I guess Underworld isn’t going to end up being what I hoped, so what out there has come close? Anything sort of recent?

Prey, if you’re talking about “emergent sims” in general.

Not idea for “first person fantasy emergent sim”, though. Anyone?

Hm, I never played Mooncrash. I might do that.

Arx Fatalis wasn’t particularly recent and it had its issues, but it’s the closest thing to Underworld 3.

Would watch that!

When I first heard about U:A, I was thinking Arx Fatalis with upgraded tech and “quirky” art design and story, and the first few Dev updates it seemed they were heading that direction.

Arx Fatalis with Arx Libertatis mod holds up extremely well on modern systems.

Since we don’t have a System Shock 3 thread, and this is where we talk about all things Otherside-related

STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN (February 11, 2019) – Starbreeze and OtherSide Entertainment have mutually agreed to sell back the publishing rights to OtherSide Entertainment for “System Shock 3”. Starbreeze expects to be fully reimbursed for costs the company has had in connection with development of the game.

Starbreeze acquired the publishing rights for “System Shock 3” in 2017 and has since then partly financed the development of the game. The title owner OtherSide Entertainment and Starbreeze have now reached an agreement whereby Starbreeze returns the publishing rights for the game to OtherSide and will be able to recoup the development costs.

“I believe this is the best solution for us, although it is sad that we cannot complete the project with OtherSide. System Shock 3 is a fantastic title developed in cooperation with the industry legend Warren Spector and I am looking forward to seeing the game released”, said Mikael Nermark, acting CEO Starbreeze AB.

As previously announced, Starbreeze will focus on its core business of games development and publishing. Starbreeze holds publishing titles for “Psychonauts 2” and “Ten Crowns”.

https://www.starbreeze.com/2019/02/starbreeze-sells-back-system-shock-3-publishing-rights-to-otherside-entertainment/

That’s interesting. I assume Otherside must have some alternative financial backing that will allow them to complete development.

I gather they are still working on UA, too – there is supposedly a big update due this month. I’m still keeping half an eye on that one, hoping they create something worth buying.

Yeah, it’s off of my wishlist but still on my radar.

Damn, Stephen Kick of Night Dive fame doesn’t sound too happy!

Gotta dig deeper.

Sorry Telefrog. I tried searching for System Shock 3, Otherside, Spector, and even Google’d Quarter To Three System Shock 3, but nothing came up (well, a thread from 2003 did but I didn’t want to bump it). :/

When searching make sure you use the filters, to make it focus on the games section, and also the very first post.

Thank you. I’ll be sure to do that next time.

That line about Starbreeze being “able to recoup the development costs” sounds pretty concerning, unless they have a new publisher lined-up. I doubt Otherside could afford to self-fund both SS3 and substantial updates for Ascendant out of their own pocket, especially when they have another project under way (Thick as Thieves). I believe the original budget was $12 million, so who knows how much of that the team received? I assume payment stopped a while back given Starbreeze’s recent woes.