Unexpected consequences of a lifetime of game playing

1. You think The world has a fairly good 3d renderer, but Carmack will make a better one.

22.every time someone mentions food, the first thought you have is ‘red warrior needs food badly’

23.Stuck in downtown Boston traffic you have to fight the Carmageddon impulse…I could drive into that subway…if I whip my door open right now, I’d get a splatter damage bonus for taking that dude out…

And a little odd but it happened…

24.the first time you do mushrooms, you finally ‘get’ Super Mario Bros.

1. When a guy cuts you off in traffic, you look to see whether he cons blue to you…
  1. You do something risky and kinda silly because you know you can just reload a savegame if it goes badly.

(It takes an active exercise of will to keep this from happening to me)

1. Every time you see a demo keyboard in a music or electronics store, you spend 5 minutes playing the Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda, and Bubble Bobble world or theme songs.
  1. You can hum entire game soundtracks to yourself.

2. You are the only person you know who recognizes the names Yasunori Mitsuda, Hironobu Sakaguchi, Yoshinori Kitase or Hideo Kojima.

Thsi one pwns, Anax!

1. Any time you wake up in a strange place, you can’t remember who you are, how you got there, what your pupose in life is, and you wander around aimlessly looking for datatape recordings that may give you a hint as to what’s going on.

2. You’re compulsive about having fresh bulbs in your night-light so you’re never in the total dark, thereby reducing the chances of being eaten by a lurking grue.

1. You assume that ghosts are just people who have figured out the real-world noclip cheat.

2. You’re pretty sure that you can open any door in the known universe with a yellow, red or blue keycard.

3. Whenever you go to a place you’ve never been before, you’re always surprised when there’s no loading screen.

4. Whenever somebody cuts you off, you instinctively reach for the button to activate the chainguns on the front of your car which, sadly, still don’t exist.

5. The Theme From Peter Gunn? I thought the song was called Spyhunter.”*

6. You assume the final thing you’ll ever hear is a reverb-drenched voice from the sky saying “Wizard is about to die”.

7. Packing a moving van with comic boxes is exactly like playing Welltris.

*An actual quote from a friend of mine, sometime in the eighties.

ROY LUNN

1. The first time you fire an assault rifle into a crowd you forget to account for kickback and knock yourself back on your ass.

Could everyone currently linking the QT3 forums in their Gone Gold sigs please remove them? Thanks in advance.

1. Permanent RSI from poorly designed controllers.
  1. When sending a one sentence thought to a coworker via email, you start the email using MMOG chat commands. I had to erase /t a few times.

2. Taping a laser pointer to a broomstick, sitting on your roof, pretending you are a sniper and camping your neighbors base entrance AKA the garage door, is a perfectly legitimate strategy.

1. You pass an archway while driving in your car and think, “huh, I was sure I turned my geometry settings down to low…”

(Honestly happened to me.)

1. Playing the original Thief, hiding in the shadows from a guard as my wife walked into the room, and turning around hissing at her, “Be quiet, he’ll hear you!!!”. Oh, if looks could kill.
  1. Seeing a gorgeous sunset or horizon vista and momentarily thinking to yourself that reality has some great lighting and particle effects.

Awesome thread, I can relate to a lot of it, especially the sunset one.

1. Seeing a sawhorse at a construction site and thinking that it was a really really low-poly horse.

2. Passing a nice car on the road and contemplating ramming it, ganking the driver and taking his car, just like in Vice City.

48.) Back when I was playing a lot of Duke Nukem: whenever I saw a fire extinguisher hanging on a wall I wanted to shoot it to see if it opened up a secret area.

1. Whenever I see a crate I wonder if it’s holding ammo or health, or if I can shoot through it.

You’re not alone, two years ago I constantly dreamed in computer games. Thank god that has passed, although my girlfriend woke me a few nights ago, whispering in her sleep that she had to get the cows inside the barn, it will rain (she’s heavily addicted to Harvest Moon currently).

1. You arrive late to work because, when your alarm clock went off a mere three hours after you shut off the computer/Playstation/whatever, your sleep-addled brain decided you could rest as long you needed to, and just restore to an earlier snooze. (Yes, really. Not a good morning.)
  1. You find yourself wishing there was a way to turn down the gamma on the morning sunlight after an all-nighter gaming session.

2. You periodically expect “CHECKPOINT PASSED” to appear at the top of the windshield when driving to another city.

3. You say “Ready to Work” and “Job’s done” in the warcraft peasant voice when arriving and leaving the office respectively.

1. You say “Ready to Work” and “Job’s done” in the warcraft peasant voice when arriving and leaving the office respectively.

I’m doing this for now on:)

1. You walk backwards without looking back.