United States Healthcare Reform

To be fair you’re not going to raise something 14 cents. Oh that pizza is 15.64 ok…

People like things in nice easily divisible numbers and 25 cents will keep their prices nice and roundish

I think people like being charged less. Put me in the “cash grab with absurd political cover” camp.

Maybe that quarter will induce people to eat less Papa John’s pizza, thereby raising the health level of the nation and reducing the need for expensive medical care. See? Obamacare works!

I have never ordered a pizza that came out to a nice round number. First, sales tax. Second, if I decide one of my three toppings is going to be one of their complete random selection of premium toppings, they charge me an extra 7 cents thus making my $8.99 pizza $9.06 even before tax.

But be honest… if the price is currently $8.99 the price isn’t going to be $9.13 OR $9.24, it’s going to be $9.99.

I hate that a deli I go to has raised the price of my favorite lunch so that it comes out to $9.02. Why the freakin .02? I pay with a $10 and get .98$ back. I hate that. That is all.

If you keep the 98 cents, you could go there 49 times without having to break another $10.

???

I still have to break the $10 I just get a $1 back for 49 visits. But who carries change anymore. I do keep some in my truck for meters but pennies are useless for them now.

To be glib, if I have to pay $.25 more for a pizza so that Papa Johns literally thouands of employees can see a doctor, then count me in. And that $.25 SHOULD be more than made up for by the decrease in my overall medical costs. My insurance now has to cover annual checkups with no co-pay, saving me $30. So as long as I buy less than 120 pizzas a year, I’m coming out ahead. (again, glib)

Yeah, it’s not like they’re going to actually just charge $.25 more anyways, it’ll just average out that way. So, they’ll charge an extra nickel on the “Dinner combo” of pizza and a coke, or they’ll charge an extra ten cents per topping, or whatever. There’s all sorts of ways to shuffle it in there without obviously affecting the number on the menu.

. . . or they could absorb the cost in the $50,000,000 profit they take in and provide healthcare for their employees while not charging their customers more. Crazy!

… you know, I wasn’t ever very good at math.

Well, you could just keep the quarters and put the pennies and the two dimes in the tip jar (if you’re feeling magnanimous). Problem solved.

I do end up leaving the pennies on the cash register for the next guy. I hadn’t thought about it but this place doesn’t have a regular tip jar.

Communist.

http://www.nature.com/news/mexico-chalks-up-success-in-health-care-reforms-1.11222

A Conservative Defense of Obamacare. Pretty self explanatory. A good chunk of what’s in the ACA is what conservatives have been wanting since the 80s. As has been discussed here before, the ACA is built to favor the insurance providers, rather than the government interceding to actually provide better health care. Sounds like the Republicans ought to love it, but…

The real problem with the health care plan — for Mr. Romney and the Republicans in general — is that political credit for it goes to Mr. Obama.

Well, that’s what you get when you work so hard to label it Obamacare.

I see it as yet another sign of just how far to the right the GOP has moved their own goalposts over the last decade or two, implicitly condemning policies they once supported. See also: demonizing the working poor for paying no federal income taxes - due largely to low-income tax credits passed with GOP support to help the working poor be less poor.

The Washington Post has an article up about controlling health care costs. Basically, let the government set the rates. Just one short step from there to letting the government be the payer, and scrapping the whole insurance mess.

OMIGODTHEREITISGOVERNMENTRUNHEALTHCAREWEKNEWTHATWASWHATOBAMACAREWASSECRETLYABOUT!

(BTW - this is one old conservative who would love all health care decisions to be removed from private, for profit insurance companies today. Immediately.)