United States Healthcare Reform

Unemployment is taxable, but Welfare thankfully isn’t … yet. I would assume that government assistance for health care also falls under that umbrella, but IANAAccountant.

Does that work even in the case of the stipend? Or HCA unspent funds? I think those go away after a certain time if not used so probably not. I was just curious. I suppose as long as the stipend is spent on health insurance (like the retirement contribution) it would be tax free. An employers contribution to a 401(k) is only taxable regards the income later on.

I know you can write off health insurance on a schedule A if you meet the conditions, which most don’t.

i am just curious as this seems to be where ACA is taking us.

United the largest insurer is starting to make good on its promise and pull out of ACA exchanges in states.

There’s going to be big, big premium spikes this fall right before the election. Heck even Peter LEe in CA said he expects large rate increases this fall.

Insurers are taking huge losses on special enrollments as well as the pay 9 months premium get 12 months coverage. I expect other insurers to exit the exchanges.

Kenneth Ryan James, a spokesman for the Arkansas Insurance Department, said UnitedHealth had a “small footprint” in the state, where Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans are dominant.

North Carolina is a similar situation. I think UHC was in our marketplace the first two years, but I don’t recall seeing them in the options this year.

Not sure this is really a surprise, regardless of whether it’s an election year or not. I don’t know about elsewhere, but we’ve seen big rate hikes in NC every year since the marketplace opened. My insurance has always been fairly high, but I think it went above my mortgage payment (for a family of 4) two years ago.

I know insurers are complaining about big losses since the marketplace was set up, but if the rest of the country is like North Carolina, there’s still little-to-no competition, so big rate hikes are inevitable. I really would like to have seen what a national marketplace structure could have done.

I’d have settled for an expansion of Medicaid in this shithole, but hey, what do I know ;)

But don’t worry folks, Hills’ll make the small, almost inconsequential tweaks necessary to perfect the ACA–Bernie’s desire for more radical change is completely unnecessary.

I’m not bitter at all!

I’m also definitely not coming out of a very pricey and uncomfortable 4-hour-long dental procedure. Maybe I need to get off P&R :)

[quote]
New Hampshire Republicans tried to reassure critics by including exemptions designed to protect from prosecution doctors and women seeking abortions. The bill’s original language stated that “any act committed by the pregnant woman” or a doctor acting in his professional capacity wouldn’t apply in cases of second-degree murder, manslaughter, or negligent homicide. Unfortunately, “any act” implied, well, any act. The bill “allows a pregnant woman to commit homicide without consequences,” Republican representative J.R. Hoell told the Concord Monitor. “Although that was never the intent, that is the clear reading of the language.” blooper sound effect[/quote]

How do they coordinate this crap so well?

They literally get a sheet of orders from the GOP. Hell, we’ve seen the talking points sheet a few times.

I agree with Triggercut, it’s all just a negotiation for which two Senators get to vote No and pass it 50-51.

I love that we’ve got a shiny, working healthcare thread and now we’ve decided we really need to fork them. ;)

Step 1: Remove Regulation to Create Competition
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Healthcare Solved

I had actually thought this was an obamacare thread that someone renamed.

Someone clean it up and make one thread to talk about this stuff.