Unity Engine Enshittification: developers will be charged on a per-install basis

Might have to buy Terraria. Again.

Why should Unity care a third party is donating to another third party, neither of which are connected to or doing business with Unity?

Generally not a positive when a very successful, hypothetical target client is vocally donating to a competing service and advertising it as a form of public good.

As far as I can tell, Unity’s competition is Unreal, and $100,000 isn’t going to be a game changer for them. Is Godot anywhere near being a viable alternative, in 2023, for the vast majority of potential paying Unity users?

I doubt it will have any impact on Unity revenues in 2023. Basically nothing will, the year is almost done and I doubt many are abandoning Unity with nearly finished (revenue generating) projects.

But becoming a visible public enemy in the game dev community, to the point where donations in the six figures are being made to aspiring alternatives, is not good. Just because Godot isn’t a full competitor in every dimension, does not mean the donation is meaningless or to be wholly wise for Unity to wholly ignore.

GODOT runs on something like 45K/month (it was only 30K before this unity stuff) in donations right now, so 100K is probably nice for them. They’re obviously not prepared to support the entire Unity community in any case.

That’s too broad a question. Is it a viable alternative for 2D/3D games that wouldn’t use a lot of store assets and plugins? I’d say yeah, for most indie games, in fact. There are a few high-profile Godot games around (Dome Keeper, Brotato, Cassette Beasts come to mind) and certainly more to come.

And 100k for Godot might mean a lot of nice features and maybe a kickstart on an asset store of sorts to make up for that side of the Unity experience.

I hope game devs that make games that are not demanding, 2D or 2D with a few 3D elements, they all move to Godot. To Godot or any other, I mention Godot because is the #1 option.

These people don’t need to be hostage by a flimsy company. They need lots of good documentation, and a giant community of other devs, plugins and how-to-solve-problem, but you have to break the chains somewhere. If Godot (or whatever open source engine) become popular, and with that, it gets the community, and with that it gets the good documentation and articles and plugins. Like blender.

Indie devs that need a more demanding engine, who knows, maybe are better at home with Unreal. Even if Unreal one day become evil. You gotta pay, if you make money from making games, is okay to pay a something for it.

“Bobby Kotick to join Godot. IPO in 6mo, say insiders”

2026 headline, probably. 😂

“Everything will remain exactly the same. We were born from open-source and will continue to support the community! Why, don’t you trust me?”

Because they are making PR hay off of Unity’s PR disaster - keeping it in the news, bolstering a competitor and getting more eyeballs on themselves… all at Unity’s expense (which will be literal).

Then somebody would make a fork. Once you get Godot, is yours forever.

Not just that, it’s mostly a community project that would quickly keep going in a fork.

That’s… a picture of Gollum while he was still a hobbit, right? What’s open source, preciousss?

Sméagol. His name was Sméagol. ;)

Modifications to the Runtime fee were announced today, along with an apology:

For games that are subject to the runtime fee, we are giving you a choice of either a 2.5% revenue share or the calculated amount based on the number of new people engaging with your game each month. Both of these numbers are self-reported from data you already have available. You will always be billed the lesser amount.

And it will only apply to new versions of the engine, not retroactively to all versions.

point revisions and security updates are likely to make this (important) clarification irrelevant, IMHO

We will make sure that you can stay on the terms applicable for the version of Unity editor you are using – as long as you keep using that version.

Better see the fine print there, otherwise this will continue…

3p1p5s-920286662

I’m not very smart but…is this good?

This looks significant if I’m reading it right. They got rid of Plus, but also gave its main benefit (no splash) to Personal and raised the revenue cap to $1 million.

Anyone can stick with their existing version and avoid the runtime fee. You can also choose revenue share vs. run time fee.

If this is what they had announced first, I think everyone would have been on board. Now, I think they’ll manage to keep most devs who were already on the platform, but with a big loss in trust.

He did specifically indicate it will apply to Unity 2024 and beyond, so presumably that means one could continue to update to the latest patched version of the Unity 2022 LTS and be fine. Choosing to upgrade to Unity 2024 will come with the runtime fee requirement.

It seems significantly better.