Unity of Command: supply goes awry

Title Unity of Command: supply goes awry
Author Tim James
Posted in Game diaries
When March 29, 2012

Unity of Command isn't just a cute game that's easy to pick up. It also uses an historically relevant supply system that significantly affects gameplay. Without fresh supplies each turn, my units lose combat effectiveness..

Read the full article

I think UoC handles supply better than any other simplified wargame I've played, at least any computer wargame. After the initial few weeks of the war in the east (when the Germans found the railways mostly useless, and supply was transported mainly by truck and horse drawn wagon), operational decisions and capabilities were largely dictated by railway lines and the locations of supply railheads. This is pretty much what happens in the game as well. A really nice, though simplified, example of this in UoC is the Edelweiss scenario.

Thanks for the insight. I'm glad to hear it, though I guess that means it's all downhill from here -- at least for the entry-level stuff.

Sadly, yes. This game is the best introductory wargame by so far that there is a metaphor that I have not thought of for it. I can't think of a game to recommend after this as a natural progression. The interfaces in all the possible choices are a huge step backward. I hope Conflict of Heroes turns out well.

I fired up Korsun Pocket and laughed out loud at the interface. It should be fine though.

Although it is on an entirely different scale, effectively Battalion or Regiment level, I would suggest Battle Academy as another Wargame to try out if Unity of Command appeals.

You have weapon caliber, armor facing and penetration rules, morale, suppression and cover. You also have a simple and elegant UI and good production values. The game is a bit puzzle-like in single player and shines in multi-player.

If anyone wants a Battle Academy match, I'm Lykurgos in QT3 forums.