Unpopular film opinions

Smokey is the Bandit.

Yeah, I came to the thread to say De Palma’s Body Double is a brilliant combination of Vertigo and Rear Window, an under appreciated gem and the best Hitchcock film not made by Hitchcock.

The remake of 3:10 to Yuma is an abomination that doesn’t work as a dumb action movie nor as the dramatic western it occasionally deludes itself into thinking it is.

The Hurt Locker was billed and critically received as a realistic war movie but is actually the lost companion piece to Point Break or, arguably, Lethal Weapon 2. Unfortunately, it includes no worthy follow-up to Johnny Utah shooting bullets in the air, the Swayze Crazy, or for that matter a toilet IED and “dekaffirnated”.

Burn After Reading and The Ladykillers are both movies that I would rank over Fargo and Raising Arizona, which are only displaced from the bottom of my Coen list by the amateurish Blood Simple and the [execrable Men Who Stare At Goats](corrected below, restrain aneurysms accordingly).

I just watched the directors cut and the theatrical release, and I’d say there was a lot of potential to 3 but it was dead on arrival for one big reason above a bunch of detail oriented ones: the need for Ripley continuity. Once the story is centered on her again, it turns into a rehash of Alien, with a crowded cast of underdeveloped characters and a protagonist whose alien-fighting days were long behind her.

In terms of self inflicted stupid, the ending of Aliens has nothing on the repeated infractions of the prisoners and their leadership, not to mention Ripley apparently respecting some sort of Alien Omerta code where she can’t say shit about the existential threat that is obviously in their midst and does not get better over time. And Deep Blue Sea showed how to do a surprise KIA of a character assumed to be in it for the long haul, although I respect the effort in 3.

I don’t blame it on Fincher, but the end result is not good in either of its forms. It doesn’t help that it includes such a poorly fitted approach to CGI aliens after the commanding work that Scott and Cameron did with their special effects. Alien 4 ends up being the one of the two ugly ducklings in the set that holds up better over time.

Fight Club is a terrible, inane mess.

This is a troll, right? That last one isn’t even a Coen film…

I haven’t seen The Ladykillers yet, but I’ve seen most of the other Coen flicks and Raising Arizona is definitely at the bottom of my list.

The Men Who Stare at Goats may be execrable, but it’s not a Coen brothers’ film.

Edit: Damn! Too slow.

I don’t like him so much I forget his movie titles!!

Anime is better than Kubrick!

Part Deux I know, but: War. It’s fantastic.

Ang Lee’s Hulk is a fantastic film.

Is liking Hot Shots really an unpopular opinion?

The Big Lebowski is super boring, dude

The Postman was a great post-apocalyptic film due to lack of power fantasy stereotypes. Kingdom of Heaven is one of the best films of the last decade and Ridley Scott’s best film. Blade Runner is awful.

glengarry glen ross has one good scene with alec baldwin and the rest of the movie has the same annoying lines repeated over and over. a waste of incredible acting talent.

[i]these lead are shit.

you need the good leads to make a sale.

these leads are shit.[/i]

It was nowhere near as bad as its reputation, but it was one of Lee’s weakest films.

My contribution: Stallone’s Oscar is a great and insanely underrated comedy, brilliant in the way a great Rube Goldberg device is.

You can go to hell, sir.

Totally agree with this.

You are on crack!

GTFO!

Totally agreed.

Agreed, I hated The Hurt Locker. The entire time I was watching it I was thinking, “I’d rather be watching Black Hawk Down.”

Now for mine:

Wanted was a damned fun action film that’s worth repeat viewings.
Gladiator was a boring movie and much less interesting than Kingdom of Heaven.
Forgetting Sarah Marshall wasn’t only unfunny, it was painfully unfunny. I couldn’t watch the whole thing.
Napoleon Dynamite was uncomfortable, boring and unfunny both times I tried (and failed) to watch it.
Besides Sorkin’s fantastic dialogue, The Social Network was a snorefest.
Tron: Legacy was a giant piece of shit.
Krull is one of the best fantasy movies of the 1980’s.
Master and Commander is one of the finest movies of the 2000’s.

Not a troll, just an honest mistake. No idea where that got implanted in my head but it probably explains why I found it such a confusing experience.

I totally forgot about Oscar, but yeah, that movie was hilarious.

Fight Club is a terrible, inane mess.

I was coming into this thread just to say this. Stupid stupid film makes me angry.

Last Action Hero is a great 80’s style action film.

It’s depressing that this is a controversial opinion. Also, I would be interested in further qualifications of the Fight Club loathing, since I’ve seen at least two levels that it exists at. Kind of like Starship Troopers, which I thought about listing but decided I’d gone on enough.

Neither Gwyneth Paltrow nor Cameron Diaz is an attractive woman…which makes every film they were ever in a little confusing.

Tarantino is waaaay overrated! Pulp Fiction & Kill Bill are terrible overindulgent movies.