Unreal 2 had a PLOT TWIST!? [spoilers]

I’m putting this in its own thread with [spoilers] in the title, so that you folks know that there will be [spoilers].

Tom Chick’s review on Firing Squad was right on, but he got me puzzled when he mentioned how all that awful dialogue was actually a preparation for a “final manipulative punch line” just before the ending credits.

Now since I haven’t actually played all the way through to the end (and already sold the game on), could Tom or anyone please save me from eternal fear and doubt about what I might have missed, and tell me about that secret final plot resolution?

The crew is killed while Dalton is stranded planetside. The game had lost all weight for me by the time I got to the end that I was taken aback when this happened. But then it made sense why Legend put all that filler in there; to create some emotional impact when the crew dies. These guys obviously remember their Floyd from Planetfall.

Unreal 2 ends with Dalton floating out into space in an escape pod, listening to a message they’d left him right before they were killed, not knowing they were about to be killed. It would have been great in a better game.

There’s also sort of a twist when the re-assembled alien artifact revives the power of an ancient alien race…which happens to be the guys who are used as lowly servants on the Marine ship. There are a few amusing reactions from NPCs while they’re fighting these giant monsters, screaming things like ‘Isn’t that the cook?’

-Tom

Thanks, I got the other points, just not the final message… I quit after shooting that traitorous general in the final level. Was there anything relevent/substantial/surprising in that pre-recorded message?

I quit after shooting that traitorous general in the final level.

Well, for all intents and purposes, you finished the game. Why’d you come so far and not bother trying to get to the escape pods?

Was there anything relevent/substantial/surprising in that pre-recorded message?

Not really. Just that John Dalton’s healing therapy worked for each of them. It was kind of embarrasing considering the level of writing. The manipulative punchline I was talking about was just the fact that they die in the end.

-Tom

Legend should just got back to adventure games and leave the FPS genre behind.

–Dave

Absolutely. I’d love another Mission Critical. I mean, not literally another Mission Critical, but another adventure game that’s smart and interesting and plays better to Legend’s strengths.

Apparently Funcom greenlighted the sequel to The Longest Journey, though. So there is some good news for adventure fans, at least.

Mike Verdu, that game’s designer/writer, is now at Westwood, or rather EA Pacific.

But… it was so hard! They’d shoot at me, and try to kill me! :cry:

Actually I quit because those portable black holes would instakill me at least once in every fight with one of the mutated cooks, and the framerate was seriously heading southward. I figured there wouldn’t be much more to see anyway, so what the hell.

Not really. Just that John Dalton’s healing therapy worked for each of them. It was kind of embarrasing considering the level of writing. The manipulative punchline I was talking about was just the fact that they die in the end.

Oy. So the great end-game reward was even more terrible dialogue and pop psychology. Now I’m positively glad that I didn’t bother to finish the game.

I misunderstood your review there, the fact that the crew died didn’t stand out as a major plot twist in my mind. Probably because I was so happy that those dorks wouldn’t bother me anymore.