Unreal 2 perfect score?

I noticed that a new issue of GamePro arrived on our door this week, so I decided to flip through it for a chuckle or two. Yeah, I know, it’s GamePro, but we’ve been getting it for free ever since we signed up for a month of FilePlanet service. Anyway, after wading through the 3:1 ratio of advertising to content, I ran into a review of Unreal 2 and I laughed my ass off. Complete 5.0’s (GamePro’s top score) across the board. They claimed that it was “a benchmark in the FPS genre and an example of what those games should be.”

Now mind you, I have not played Unreal 2 myself, but I’ve read enough reviews and seen the comments of those who post on this board enough to know that this review was a bit rich.

Best quote: “Unreal II has the deepest characters this side of an RPG”

Crap like this REALLY makes me miss writing game reviews.

Haha, yeah, I noticed that too. Not too much of a surprise though, GamePro tends to be overly kind on a regular basis.

Out of 38 Unreal II reviews the average score is 75%. GamePro gave it 100%, heh.

They claimed that it was “a benchmark in the FPS genre and an example of what those games should be.”

Game Informer said almost the exact same thing in their ludicrously generous review… I smell a scandal!

We’ll they arn’t too far off with the benchmark statement. That is if this was 1994 and not 2003.

Hell even PC gamer gave Unreal 2 a so-so score. I was expecting 90+ form that magazine.

:D

Nonsense, it’s a great benchmark for testing framerates on the new generation of 3D cards… :)