Unreal Tournament 2004. Worth $15 for single player?

Now that I’ve lost my high speed connection I have NO desire to play games online. I’ve read that UT2004 has a single player component, but it gets completely glossed over in many reviews. Is the single player experience worth $15? The fact that you can create and upgrade a team sound interesting, but I don’t know how fleshed out it is in actual gameplay, or what types of game styles you can play with them.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

Bots are competent and very human-like, even play the onslaught modes passably well.

It’s absolutely worth $15. I would place the single-player value at around $25, personally. It’s very fun.

Where do you see it for $15?

I bought 2k4, after skipping 2k3, just for the single player after my experience with the original UT, and I can say it’s pretty awesome.

A couple of gripes though. The tournament mode got old when I was forced into Bombing Run pretty early on, and the selecting the team seems pretty pointless because the bots are mostly interchangable in their stats (that is they all seem to be x total points distributed differently, no uberbots) so you can pick the supersniper with no acrobatics, but any sort of management I found to be pointless. Although you don’t have to play the 1 on 1 maps any more so I was happy with that change.

Also in UT Instant Action mode I used to be able to customize the whole bot setup, but in UT2k4 I can choose the maps and mutators, but I can’t seem to customize the bots.

Still for the sheer variety and number of maps and mods the game is pretty hard to beat. You loose out on somethings only playing with bots (such as cool mods like strangelove, and most of the TCs) but I found it to be a great way to blow off some steam.

I assume the 48 hour special at GoGamer is where the original poster saw this deal.

I still play the heck out of the original Unreal Tournament, often just as a single-person game, so I appreciate finding out about this deal.

Gentlemen, I defer to your tastes. GoGamer gets my $15.

Also in UT Instant Action mode I used to be able to customize the whole bot setup, but in UT2k4 I can choose the maps and mutators, but I can’t seem to customize the bots.

You can still customize the bots in 2k4.

My only gripe is that the SP in UT2004 doesn’t use all of the game modes. Maybe I’m playing it wrong, but there’s only Bombing Run, Assault, CTF, & Double Domination in the tournament. Since this is the way I learn to play the modes, I’d like to see more of the modes represented in the tournament.

That said, it’s an impressive SP experience, the bots play very well.

You can play all of the game modes in Instant Action, just not with a ladder.

True, but I was impressed with the difficulty curve in the tournament mode, it made me feel like I was accomplishing something.

Not in vein with the original question, is it still good for MP? 2K3 servers are rare and empty now. What about 2k4?

Decent, but if you are budget conscious Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is free, has more players, and is a better game.

Decent, but if you are budget conscious Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is free, has more players, and is a better game.[/quote]

I’ve found both games tend to float around the top ten a lot. ET and UT2004 will both rise as high as #3 or 4 and then trail off during their non-peak hours. I think it’s fair to say you’re more likely to find bots on servers in UT2004. As to which is the better game, they’re different enough that I would chalk it up to a simple matter of preference. I know that’s not a good fanboy defense, but there you go.

Decent, but if you are budget conscious Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is free, has more players, and is a better game.[/quote]

Are there any more maps rotating for ET? Because allthough it is a very good game, there were only six official maps with the release. Those got a bit boring after a while. And the fan made ones I played wasn’t as good as the original (they mainly lacked in providing enough clues as to where you should go next).

I just wanted to say that GoGamer now has UT2004 DVD edition for $10 on a 48-hour madness sale. So, seriously, go buy it. Use this link to support QT3: click here

There are a few great UT2004 servers running Onslaught mode with non-moron players. Best MP shooter experience out there right now in my opinion.

Considering how cheap it is now, anyone who plays PC games should have a copy of UT 2004. So. Much. Goodness.

I’m amazed at how cheap it’s become considering how far away UT2007 appears to be. Great game. I’m hopeless at Quake 2 & 3, but at least I can have some fun with UT2004.

There’s also the Alien Swarm mod.

• Alan