Up in the Air (Spoiler Thread)

Sam Elliot was an especially nice touch. Absolutely perfect casting. In fact, I’d go so far as to say that there is no other actor working today who could have been cast in that part besides him. It just had to be.

Did you walk outside to the bathroom during the party scene? I don’t know how you could miss Cut Chemist’s role.

I travel almost as much as Clooney for work lately and I’ve never seen such a sign. Everyone’s shoes go into the bin, as recently as a couple weeks ago (and many, many consecutive weeks before that).

Anyway, very much enjoyed the flick. Saw the Alex revel coming from well before as well, but it was still well done. The speech abruptly ending bugged me but otherwise it was a great example of a smart, heartfelt, realistic, yet mainstream movie.

Well, I only really fly to NY and CA, and I saw the policy change and signs at airports in both states, so I figured everyone got the memo. All other states are like, less important anyway.

I fly SFO, LAX, and SNA all the time, and shoes are in bin.

Also, shoes in bin at Dulles, Detroit, Seattle, Vancouver, etc.

I fly through Dulles frequently and I put my shoes right on the conveyor.

Why was the neighbor girl inside Clooney’s apartment when he came back the first time?

She wasn’t inside. She hears him return and then knocks on the open door. And if you didn’t catch it; they definitely engaged in casual sex, but she declines his offer for dinner cause she actually met someone.

Saw this today and really liked it, but I was confused about a couple of things.

1. What was the last thing Jason Bateman’s character said to Ryan? Something about sending a postcard.

2. I was confused about why the company suddenly scrapped the long-distance firing thing right after Natalie left. Was there any good reason, or was it just a convenient plot device to get Ryan back in the air?

I don’t see how you can say that given the way it ends. The film’s total downer ending was perfect, but was far from the typical Hollywood ending. In a typical movie, he’d learn his Important Lessons and then he would Prove His Love for the girl, probably by doing something Personally Embarrassing or Ridiculous, and then they would Realize They Were Meant For Each Other and would live Happily Ever After.

Ryan has asked how long they’re going to be sending him out, as the company has decided to put him back in the air. Bateman’s response is,

“We’re going to let you sail and sail. Send us a postcard if you ever get there.”

-xtien

Because the indirect approach led to someone offing themselves?

Nope. They were face-to-face with the woman who jumped off the bridge (assuming it was the same person who threatened to).

Can someone supply me with a buzzer sound effect?

-xtien

I’ve had the folks at SFO and JFK both tell me to take my shoes out of the bin and put it directly onto the conveyor. I suppose it’s a relatively new policy that either they aren’t enforcing strictly or they just haven’t gotten use to yet.

I figured the program cancellation was a response to the suicide, even if the suicide wasn’t caused by the program. Having someone you were hired to let go wind up killing herself is pretty bad press in and of itself. The last thing you want is to start a new pilot program that’s inherently impersonal and somewhat callous.

I really liked Up in the Air. All of the people in the movie were so appealing. I enjoyed their company very much. It was such a good-natured film despite Clooney’s grim job.

In one facet of the film we got to see a casual relationship from the less utilized viewpoint of the man turning out to be the clingy one and ending up with the short end of the stick. This meshed well with Vera Farmiga being set up as the female equivalent of Clooney’s character.

Also it was her idea, I doubt corporate (and Bateman’s character) wanted anything to do with it after her departure.

I’d like to mention that Bateman was awesome in his role. His giddyness over all the layoffs and state of the country was priceless.

Even in that case, most of the audience doesn’t know or care about the detail, but might have been surprised / confused. I for one would have taken it as something in his perfect routine that is out of the ordinary, and tried to find the significance in it.

Really? I figured that she said yes and went to the wedding, it was a done deal. That threw me off.

But yeah, as soon as he walked up to the house, I knew.

I love how he got “fired” with his experience with Alex. A clean break so that he could move on to new and better opportunities. And the ending with the callback to the destination board… a nice touch.